What is the Most Daring Thing You Have Ever Done?

by Kelly on February 29, 2008 · 22 comments

in Life. People. News, Travel. Photography

daring-post.JPG

Have you ever done something bold? Something exhilarating, terrifying. Something that required a courage and a determination you never dreamed possible? Maybe it was parachuting, or starting a new business, or getting married to someone you met a month ago. It doesn’t matter whether anyone else would think it’s daring, it’s only important that it was challenging for you.

In celebration of the weekend barreling towards us, I have decided to follow Kailani’s Aloha Friday philosophy (check out An Island Life) and throw a BIG question out to you, my dear readers.

What is the Most Daring Thing You Have Ever Done?

For me, it would have to be my solo backpacking trip to Mexico and Guatemala in 2002. Five months away from my husband, alone in a undeveloped part of the world with basic Spanish and a pack for company.

This trip was truly the making of me as an individual, and while it was very difficult to leave my husband of four years (he didn’t want to go), I knew in my heart that you can’t put your life and your dreams on hold to stand beside someone else while they live theirs.

My husband was passionate about his business, and I had changed careers from Marketing to English Language Teaching in order to pursue my passion for travel. Of course we always thought our dreams would somehow coincide, but at this time it just wasn’t happening. We weren’t ready to buy a home or have a family, and our goals were taking us in opposite directions with a slowly winding path to divorce.

The fact that we are still in love and together six years later, with a son and our own home, is thanks in large part to me taking the reins of my own life. By eschewing the doomsdayers, by being true to myself and pushing through my fears, I had an opportunity to take myself out of my world, to see who I was when there was no one to advise me and back me up.

What I found was a strength and a confidence that I never knew existed. I met new people, had amazing experiences, suffered terrifying ordeals (robbed at gunpoint) and through it all I not only carried on, I thrived. The woman my husband welcomed home five months later had a maturity that never would have existed if I had not dared to take a chance on myself.

Strip everything away and all you have is yourself. I have done this and I can honestly say I am proud of the woman that stares back at me from the mirror. She’s a little nuts, not so predictable, but she has guts and she’s alright.

So dear reader, has any one event been the making of you?

Photo by zackschnepf

{ 2 trackbacks }

sk-rt.com
03.06.08 at 1:52 pm
What Makes An Act Courageous? | Productive Flourishing
05.19.08 at 11:08 pm

1 Rachel 02.29.08 at 11:28 pm

I can’t imagine travelling by myself. Don’t you get lonely? Good on you though for doing what you felt was right.

My most daring act is also my most embarrassing. I can’t believe I’m going to admit this but I tried out for Australian Idol in 2006. I’ve played piano and sung since I was a child and though I don’t do gigs or anything, I really love music. So, I just decided that year to try out, and I did. It was brief, the judges were nice (even Kyle - the Australians will know who I mean) and I didn’t get anywhere but I was glad I tried.

I don’t think I’m a very daring person really, but maybe there is more excitement in my future. I hope so.
Bye
Rachel

2 Jacki 02.29.08 at 11:29 pm

I am not one to do many wild and crazy things, and nothing nearly as daring as you. But I have gone white-water rafting. Does that count?

3 Kelly 02.29.08 at 11:33 pm

Rachel - that is SUPER DARING! Wow, I can’t believe you were on Australian idol. I would never have the guts to do something like that. very impressive.
And no, you don’t get lonely traveling by yourself, because backpackers are pretty friendly folk overall and you’re always meeting someone to hang out with for awhile.

Jacki - white water rafting most definitely does count. I’ve never done that, but it’s on my list!

Thanks for sharing.

:) Kelly

4 Write From Karen 03.01.08 at 1:30 am

What a wonderful story, Kelly! And so inspiring! I’m not sure I would have the guts to do something like that on my own, but then again, if I were at the point that you were, I just might.

My most daring moment is something I can’t really talk about. But suffice it to say, it was VERY unlike me and totally out of character. But afterward, I felt … different, and perhaps not in a good way. After that incident, I’ve been a more cautious (read boring) person and I really haven’t stepped too far from my comfort zone since then.

*yawn* How’s that for a sleeper answer? *grin*

5 Amy @ The Q Family 03.01.08 at 1:39 am

Kudo to you!! That’s great that you had the courage to do what your heart told you. I did a solo trip myself but not nearly as daring as yours. When I graduated from Grad school, I planned a trip to Europe to meet up with my mom and my brother who came to study during Summer. At the end of the trip, I opted to stay a few more days by myself in France and England. I stayed in a hostel and went to the Louve by myself. I think that was the only time I ever traveled by myself. It was liberating. I still want to go back there one day!

6 Dee 03.01.08 at 1:55 am

I can’t think of anything that I did that was really daring.
but yesterday I donned a firemans uniform, an oxygen tank and a mask, and crawled thru a pitch dark maze. I had to find my way out. It was very scary, I’m glad that I made it thru. I felt brave even tho on the grand scale of things, it might not seem like much.

7 Charlotte (Charmed Life) 03.01.08 at 2:30 am

wow! that was incredible! congratulations on this endeavor! i can feel your passion just by reading this. and you have inspired me. i’m not really the kind of person who does daring, ambitious stuffs like you but i can try someday. so far, the most daring i did is marrying dear hubby after less than 6 months of knowing him. it was a leap of faith and i have no regrets.

8 Cathi 03.01.08 at 2:32 am

All I can say is WOW!
I have never done anything like you and I admire you for what you’ve done!

9 Kelly 03.01.08 at 9:10 am

Karen - you’re killing me with your mysteriousness! I’m imagining all sorts of naughty things now, although I do understand that there are some things that we don’t necessarily want everyone to know. My rampant curiosity is going to remember this…

Amy - Europe is amazing isn’t it? I loved my time there and am actually hoping to get back there with the family this year

Dee - Again, the curiosity. Why were you in a fireman’s suit and oxygen mask? And I think crawling through a pitch black maze is plenty daring enough because I can honestly say I would probably find that super freaky and if there were any enclosed spaces I’d pass out from fear!

Charlotte - getting married is always a gamble, I think. It does take bravery and commitment, and that’s great your leap of faith worked out. I think when the gut says yes, we’re pretty much always right. I got engaged to my GC after 18 months and for us that was quick and scary. I was 26 years old, and coming from a childhood where almost everyone I knew got divorced, it seemed like a risky thing to do at the time. Thankfully, it all worked out fabulously

Cathi - Thanks for stroking my ego.I don’t think I’ve done your Meme yet, so I’ll pop over

Have a great weekend ladies

10 Courtney 03.01.08 at 9:38 am

My most daring thing was quiting my job to stay home with my kids. My husband is a student so that meant we would have no income. It was very scary but we have made it work and I have seen huge improvement in my kids.

11 Kelly 03.01.08 at 9:43 am

Courtney - you’re right, that is another brave thing I have done. Being there to raise our kids is usually a choice we make, not because it is easy, but because we believe it is worthwhile. I too, am glad I stayed home with my son, although everyone else was very surprised because they thought I was too career driven to be a mom. Congratulations for following your heart.

12 Chris Austria 03.01.08 at 3:12 pm

Most daring and most defining moment are two different things for me.
The most daring is when I decided to quit my job, my wife pregnant with our 5th child and no job offers. I’m so glad I did it because everything worked out.
Most defining had to be when, like you I left the country to teach travel and teach abroad. It was a defining moment because I believe my journey eventually led me to my wife.

13 Rach (Heart of Rachel) 03.01.08 at 11:32 pm

Hi Kelly. Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, you’re right. The photo on my blog is a jewelry holder (particularly for earrings).

I admire your sense of adventure for going solo backpacking to Mexico.

I’m not really an adventurous person. I think the most daring thing I’ve done in my life was checking out a cave in a beach with my friends.

14 CatherineL 03.02.08 at 4:35 pm

Hi Kelly - Having the courage to leave your husband behind and go on that backpacking trip is pretty impressive. And I bet it’s something you’ll never regret.

For me I think it would be a toss between selling my old business to start a new one and finally having the courage to get rid of a bad husband (just over three years ago).

15 kailani 03.02.08 at 7:16 pm

I think it would have to be making a career change in my mid-30s. I had my Masters Degree and was working in a well-paying management position and decided to give it all up to become a flight attendant. I never regretted it for a single moment.

16 Dee 03.03.08 at 3:02 am

The job I just got is as a Ordinary Seaman on a Washington Ferry. So I had to show them in my physical that I would have no problem performing firefighting duties, and that’s what that test was about. As soon as my orientation starts I will have fire school, and have to do more of the same! Oh my gosh lots of prayer is needed!
Dee

17 Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker 03.03.08 at 5:16 pm

I have 2 most daring and life changing events. One was my first airplane ride from Arkansas to India, my first trip on an airplane and out of the USA both at the same time. The second event was deciding to write about the healing of my incest issues on my blog. Blogging has been life changing for me too. I am 56 years old and have very basic computer skills, nothing fancy. A friend told me how to set up my blog and I have been blogging since June 1, 2007. Because of my blog, I have become friends from around the world. All of this for a country girl from northern Louisiana. I haven’t always been so courageous.

Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker’s last blog post..The Wisdom Of Letting Go

18 Kelly 03.03.08 at 10:04 pm

So many comments to this thread - I love it! If you could see me I’m doing a happy dance.Thank you to everyone who decided to share their lives with me

Chris - I like your distinction between daring and defining. They are different, and the birth of my son would definitely be my most defining moment in my life. So much responsibility. So much love. So much to take in and become. That’s so romantic that you met your wife overseas, and very courageous of you to take a chance on yourself despite less than optimum circumstances. Glad it all worked out.

Catherine - both decisions sound life changing. Hope this means you’re also happy with how they turned out

Kailani - I know radical career change and pay cuts well. I too left a corporate marketing role for a completely different job (English language teacher) and I never regretted it despite my salary halving. I justified at the time that if I didn’t do it then (late 20s), I might lose my nerve later once I had more responsibilities. It was the right move for me

Dee - Thanks for the clarification. Good luck with the job

Patricia - Your courage is to be commended. I hope your life is more fulfilling and contented as a result. Thanks for talking to me and I’ll come check out your blog

Thanks again, everyone.

19 Pat R 03.04.08 at 3:19 pm

Kelly - This is my first time to your site so sorry I’m getting in on this a little late.

I guess I would have to agree with Charlotte in my most daring thing would be to marry my husband having only known him only 6 mos and 1 month of that we only communicated by mail. We have now been married 41 years with 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. We’ve had our lumps and bumps along the way but in the process we have loved and learned from each other.

Pat R’s last blog post..Developing Awareness – What’s Going On Behind the Eyeballs?

20 Roz Mitchell 03.05.08 at 2:53 pm

KELLY YES VERY SCARY GOING TO MEXICO BY YOURSELF BUT AN EXCELLENT CHALLENGE FOR YOURSELF TO LIVE AND LEARN.
ONE OF THE MOST DARING THINGS THAT COMES TO MIND IS A SAIL THROUGH THE SOLEWAY PASSAGE UP THE TOP OF THE WHITSUNDAYS.
THAT PASSAGE IS KNOW TO BE VERY ROUGH WITH WAVES COMING FROM EVERY DIRECTION AND OF COURSE WE NOT ONLY HAD THAT WE HAD HIGH WINDS AND RAIN
A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE HAS A 40FT SOMETHING SAIL KETCH SO WE DECIDED TO TAKE A SHORT CUT THROUGH ,IT WAS THE MOST EXHILLERATING ,PETRIFYING AND HEART RENCHING SAIL OF MY LIFE THE KETCH WAS TIPPING AND ROLLING AROUND WITH WATER SWAMPING THE ENTIRE SURFACE OF THE DECK AND OF COURSE WATER GOING BELOW AS WELL .OUT THERE YOU ARE AT THE MERCY OF THE OCEAN AND KNOW YOU JUST NEED TO KEEP YOUR MIND ON THE JOB AND ITS NOT TILL YOU ARE THROUGH YOU REALISE THE ENORMATITY OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE.A DEEP BREATH IN AND I FELT LIKE I HAD CLIMBED ANOTHER CHALLENGE IN LIFES JOURNEY.