I Found Heaven on the Costa Brava

by Kelly on June 2, 2008 · 11 comments

in Travel. Photography

img_6559_1_1.JPG

And it goes by the name of Cadaques.

This charming fishing town is nestled between the Pyranees Mountain range and the Mediterranean Sea and is just a short drive from the border of France and Spain. It was the home of Salvador Dali for over half his life and I can see why a man who could live anywhere in the world would choose to keep his home base here.

We actually stayed in the historic Hotel La Residencia, the first hotel in the town and a shrine to Dali. It’s a quirky place, full of art and history and with an elegance that is hard to replicate. Our room had a small juliet balcony and a sea view, and it was a wonderful spot for a beer and a bit of people watching.

img_6556_1_1.JPG

I’m not sure if it’s the barren landscape hugging the cobbled streets and white adobe buildings, or the glare of the sun against the sparkling sea and brightly painted row boats, but there is magic and mystery in Cadaques. A sense that you have slipped back in time and you find yourself reveling in the salty air as you spend hours wandering through the rocky, rabbit warren streets and strolling around the bays. The reason it takes so long is due to the many seats along the promenade and dotted throughout the town which encourage you to rest your languid limbs and enjoy the view and soothing atmosphere.

img_6418_1_1.JPG

img_6426_1_1.JPG

Bunny had a ball with the pebble beach at Cadaques. Better than an amusement park in his eyes. All those rocks of different shapes and sizes, washed smooth by the sea and laid out decoratively for him to pick through and then toss vigorously into the water. The only way we could entice him away without a screaming tantrum was by promising him ice blocks. Never underestimate the power of a well placed bribe.img_6501_1_1.JPG

img_6346_1_1.JPG

Musicman and I just couldn’t get enough of Cadaques. This is where we really got into living la vida Espana. Coffee solo and chocolate croissants for breakfast, cerveza and boccadillos or tapas for lunch, and paella and vino tinto for dinner around 9pm. Remember how I said I lost 10kgs? Well, I think I found 3 of them in Spain and it’s only been 7 days! Lord help me by the time I get home. I’m going to be living on bread and water and running every day just to get back to my pre-holiday weight. I think my dreams of sashaying down la playa on the Costa del Sol in a bikini have already been dashed.

We were only supposed to spend a night here, but ended up staying for two. In a week full of highlights, Cadaques has been the unexpected gem.

The rest of the trip has also been fabulous and I will post some more photos in the next day or two. It has been a revelation for Musicman and I to see Spain through Bunny’s eyes and we have both been surprised at how well he has adapted to the language and the change of food, culture and normal routines. He’s totally got into the late nights and half the time it’s Musicman and I who are falling asleep from our busy days while the boy is rearing for more. I should send him out clubbing with the locals – he’d probably love it! He’s also been busy charming all the women with his “Hola” and “Gracias”. There’s a lot of “Mui guapo” being thrown about and I don’t think Musicman is the handsome one they’re cooing over.

Bunny especially loved being spoiled by our amazing host, Anna in Barcelona. We stayed at a beautiful bed and breakfast called Anita’s on Mount Tribidabo above Barcelona. Spectacular views, comfortable rooms, mouth watering breakfasts which are practically two meals in one, and the kind of family style hospitality you can’t buy. And all for 80 Euros, which is great value here. Spain is definitely more expensive than we thought; I don’t know how the locals survive as apparently the wages are crap. I envy the English who get to travel with pounds.

Anyway, have to get to bed so will try and post again soon.

1 Vered 06.02.08 at 8:13 am

Wow. You write so well. I almost feel like I’ve been there myself. And great photos!

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in Spain!

Vered’s last blog post..The Sleazy Ads of Google Adsense

2 Roz Mitchell 06.02.08 at 4:12 pm

what a beautiful place cadaques looks kellly beautifully put together post you are so exstremelly talented person ,A lovely shot of you and bunny so relaxed .
Im waiting in antisipation for your next post and photos.Take care lots sunshine

3 Gunfighter 06.02.08 at 9:10 pm

It sounds wonderful.

I’m glad that you are all enjoying yourselves.

Gunfighter’s last blog post..But Can You Tase This?

4 Chris Austria 06.02.08 at 11:24 pm

Judging from your smile and your writing, HEAVEN INDEED! I’m so jealous and I’m so there next year. Can’t wait for more picutres.

Chris Austria’s last blog post..Drive-Thru Kids: Hold The Tantrum Please

5 kailani 06.03.08 at 2:16 pm

Thank you for sharing those photos! It’s so amazing to be able to see a different kind of life!

kailani’s last blog post..Father’s Day Giveaway #2 – HomeHero Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm & Home Depot Gift Card

6 Noa Rose Choose the Present 06.04.08 at 1:57 am

The unexpected gems are often the best part of vacations. I’m happy you had the flexibility in your schedule to stay an extra night and enjoy it a bit longer! Lovely photos.

Noa Rose Choose the Present’s last blog post..Friday Night Fiction No. 3

7 Pat R 06.04.08 at 12:44 pm

Beautiful pictures. I agree with Vered in that your post is so well written you’ve put me there. Mmmm – it does feel like heaven.

I’m happy you’re enjoying your vacation in such a grand place. Looking forward to more pictures.

Blessings,

Pat R’s last blog post..Meme Tag – You’re It – If You Want to Play

8 Lance 06.04.08 at 1:01 pm

Always fun to find some unplanned “gem” – enjoy it, savor it, and you’ll have memories to last a lifetime! The pictures you have are wonderful.

Lance’s last blog post..Take Action!

9 Shilpan | successsoul.com 06.06.08 at 1:30 pm

You are enjoying the moment with family. It’s a worthwhile thing to do. I’ve not seen Spain but you are showcasing a great country.

Thanks

Shilpan | successsoul.com’s last blog post..The Real Key to a Healthy Life

10 The Happiest Blog 06.10.08 at 7:03 am

Kelly:

Looks like you have so much fun over there. I am glad that you finally take a trip to such a wonderful place.

I have a happy news for you. The happiest blog with your great smiles are featured on the world happiest news media – HappyNews.com

The happiest blog is on the happiest news

If you look closely, you can find your happy face in there too!

Thank you for your participation, I am so happy to have you as part of my happiness project.

Keep smiling! Have a happy life!

The Happiest Blog’s last blog post..Happy News – the happiest blog in the world is featured on the happiest news on earth

11 Cath Lawson 06.12.08 at 5:53 pm

Hi Kelly – I didn’t realise you were still blogging while you were away. It looks like you’re having a fantastic time and it looks like a lovely little town. Where’s your next port of call?

True – it is much cheaper for us to visit Spain but the pound is weakening alot against the euro now, so we’re only getting about 8 euro for £10, which is not as good as it used to be.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Are You In The Business Of Misery?