Post Holiday Blues?

by Kelly on July 2, 2008 · 16 comments

in Life. People. News,Travel. Photography

img_9189a_1_1.jpg

I really don’t feel like myself since I got home. At first I thought it was jet lag because I couldn’t sleep and had an attention span that could be counted in seconds, rather than minutes or hours.

Then the days moved on and now I’ve been home over a week, but still I lie awake at night with my mind racing and my legs twitching from nervous energy and it seems obvious that there might be a bit more to it.

Is it just post holiday blues or something more?

I don’t feel depressed and I was actually glad to come home. Routine is a vital part of life with young children and it was definitely tiring having to entertain Bunny all day every day. In Europe he had no pre-school, no mates, hardly any toys and little predictability. Usually Bunny is a child who thrives on predictability (so unlike me), but overseas he coped amazingly well and adapted to everything we threw at him. Even so, it’s nice to be home where there’s more support and a bedroom I can send him to when he’s throwing a wobbly.

But back to me – it’s ALL ABOUT ME, people!

If it was a welcome comfort to get home, why do I feel so disinterested in doing anything?

I started back up on my novel overseas, but am now dragging my feet. I have a few draft posts written that I can’t seem to finish. A client who wants me to start on a project, but I’m avoiding him. And I find myself mentally blank for long periods of the day with a physical restlessness which is keeping me up ’till all hours.

People are supposed to come home from holidays recharged, not drained!

I have to admit, this has happened before. Last year when I returned from Thailand, I wrote about my intuition that change was in the air. It made a lot of sense then because I’d been feeling very burned out before I went away, and when I came home I re-prioritized my life to stop copy writing for a few months and concentrate on my family.

This time the problem isn’t burn out, and maybe it’s not post holiday blues either. Maybe those over-active instincts of mine sense new challenges on the horizon for me and my poor little brain (it’s not what it once was – thanks Bunny) is struggling to keep up.

I did start to jot down some notes for a new creative project while I was away, the novel has spluttered back to life, and I’ve been mulling over some minor changes I want to make here at SHE-POWER. So, maybe I’m being too hard on myself.

Maybe just getting on with everyday life for a week or two is just what I need. Time for my ideas to germinate and bloom into something beautiful. Maybe it’s that old dilemma again about it being okay to do nothing. Sit, wait and create.

What do you think?

1 vered 07.02.08 at 12:55 am

I think you should give yourself some more time. This was a major trip. You come back recharged from a weekend away at a posh resort… a few weeks of intense travel, long flight and jet lag, especially with a young child, are plain stressful. It’s still wonderful that you are taking such trips – but be prepared to spend a few weeks recuperating.

So yes, you ARE being too hard on yourself. Just take it easy for a couple more weeks… try to eat healthy and drink plenty of water. You will feel better soon.

vered’s last blog post..Oops. I Accidentally Got Involved In a Blogging War

2 mark 07.02.08 at 6:17 am

Hey Kelly – hang in there!

Also, I was thinking that maybe it is something in the air because I have tons of project ideas, posts that I would like to write, and a BIG project that I need to finish. Somehow, at the end of the day I look back at what I did (or didn’t do) and let’s just say that there ain’t a whole lot of progress…

I wish you well and I am sending you some Caribbean sunshine!

mark’s last blog post..Welcome Islands Magazine Readers – Best Islands to Live On: Culebra

3 Chris 07.02.08 at 6:29 am

I usually bounce back after a vacation because as soon as I get back, I go back to work. Now of course your situation is totally different. Like Vered said, you need to give yourself some time. I think the main thing is to keep your body moving. Jog, exercise do whatever so that all the postive endorphins will kick in. Or you could always visit tons of blog and comment like crazy and grow your readers more… :)

Hang there girl.

Chris’s last blog post..Are You Patriotic?

4 Mary@GoodlifeZen 07.02.08 at 6:42 am

Hi Kelly, I think that your sense of unrest could be a real opportunity. When we break with routine and experience a different life – like you in Spain – and then return into our highly prescribed home life there can be a difficult adjustment. Now’s your chance to change your routine before you get used to your cage again! Frustration and restlessness are signs of energy. Maybe you can tap into this unused energy in order to create something new?

5 Pat R 07.02.08 at 12:30 pm

I’m happy you’re back and had a great vacation. Maybe what you’re feeling are the after-vacation energy waves. While we’re on vacation we’re so busy doing we don’t have time to feel and absorb what is happening at the moment but it’s there. It’s like a delayed reaction or like pulling an elastic band – it follows behind. Relax and take time to let the events of your vacation soak in and reflect on them and enjoy.

Blessings,

Pat R’s last blog post..I Hope You Dance!

6 Donna Moore 07.02.08 at 4:30 pm

I love the small taste of photos that you have posted and the glimpses into your holiday and look forward to seeing and reading more. On the blues front, it is easy to feel motivated when you are in exciting new places and just as easy to lose that motivation when real life comes crashing back around us. I am sure you will get your mojo back soon enough.

7 Barbara Swafford 07.02.08 at 6:44 pm

After you wonderful vacation, your mind must still be filled with visions of beautiful places, momentous moments, and magnificent memories. It’s tough to leave that behind and jump back into the old schedule.

It sounds like you just need a little more time, a little more rest and the ability to give yourself permission to ease back into life as you knew it before, at your own pace. This is a great time to reflect and ponder. You may life taking you on a new course.

Here’s hoping you’re feeling 100% real soon.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Decorating Our Home In Blogosphere

8 Kelly 07.02.08 at 9:41 pm

I am aware that I have this tendency to be hard on myself. It’s like this voice is always in my ear saying “ignore your feelings and suck it up”, which isn’t the most compassionate way to treat myself. I’m not that way with other people and I am trying to change this nasty habit. I am going to do my best to try and just focus on the moment and the family, rest up a bit (if I can ever sleep!) and see how the days pan out.

@ Mark
I actually was wondering whether it’s a solstice renewal energy floating about or some kind of planetary alignment thing because another of my friends has been feeling the same way. I think we are all excited to hear about your new BIG project and you’ll get around to using those post ideas at some point.

@Chris
Great advice on both counts there. I do need to run some of this nervous energy off and lose the couple of kilos I put on from too much beer and tapas, and I’m enjoying catching up on some of my reading so I should throw some of my insightful wisdom around (*cough*) and see if I can make sure everyone knows SHE-POWER is back!

9 Kelly 07.02.08 at 9:53 pm

@Mary
What you say makes a lot of sense – frustration being a sign of energy and renewal. Like I said, I do have a new creative project I’ve been throwing around in my head and so now is probably a good time to brainstorm a little and be open to new opportunities. It is definitely harder to do this when you throw yourself back into a tight schedule of responsibility.

@ Pat R
I like the elastic band analogy, Pat and this holiday was very busy. I definitely haven’t processed everything yet or had a photo night with the family, so some sitting back and reflection is definitely called for

@Donna
Thanks for your support and positivity. It does suck when you don’t feel like you have your mojo, but I need to try and remember it’s always there, even if it’s sleeping

@Barbara
Giving myself permission to enjoy myself and relax, and not DO, DO, DO is always a big thing with me. And a bit of a new course would be nice. Finishing the novel would be even better!

Thanks for your encouragement and support everyone. I do love my regular readers so big kisses from me.

10 San Diego Momma 07.03.08 at 12:20 am

I’ve been undergoing the same thing…but I have not, unfortunately, just returned from vacation.

My theory is us creative sorts have got all kinds of neurons firing and sometimes when they burn out of control, and we need a mental breather to re-balance.
That’s my theory anyway, and I’m going with it!

Good luck on the novel. Take a long walk. Write something else for a day or so. All will be harmonius again soon!

San Diego Momma’s last blog post..PROMPTuesday #11: The Infomercial

11 Monica 07.03.08 at 7:07 am

Kelly,

Calm down. You just came home from a very major, very exciting trip. You are still getting used to being home, and you are probably still mentally processing the trip and all the stuff you have to do at home. Give yourself some time to get back into your routine before you start beating your head up against a wall.

When I have nervous energy and anxiety like it seems that you are feeling, I sit down and just write about it. It often doesn’ t make sense , but it helps me to feel better. And it probably made you feel better to tell us about it, didn’t it? :-)

Chin up, darling, its all good!

Monica’s last blog post..Seriously, is it still like this?

12 kailani 07.03.08 at 9:54 am

It sounds like a mild case of depression. You should get out of the house and do something you really enjoy. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

kailani’s last blog post..Group Writing Project #1

13 Kelly 07.03.08 at 5:41 pm

@San Diego Momma
Hmm, maybe I was right and there is some kind of unsettling planetary thing going on…
But I agree with your theory – creativity needs room to breathe, it doesn’t do well caged up and scheduled up to the minute. I keep telling myself that every time I feel guilty for my relative lack of productivty. Thanks for the advice.

@Monica
You’re right, I did feel much better after writing about it. I always feel better when I write, even if it’s just for 20 minutes. Writing is like herbal tea for my frenetic mind. A soothing tonic.

@Kailani
Today, I did get myself out in the warm sun and I walked on the beach and lay rugged up on the sand for a bit (it’s winter now) and it was lovely. The sound of the waves, the sand in my fingers and the sun on my face. I felt recharged enough afterwards that I actually went for a short run. So, good advice.

Thanks for stopping by friends.

14 Cath Lawson 07.04.08 at 7:56 pm

Hi Kelly – sometimes you need a holiday to recover from a holiday. Maybe you’re just jet lagged still. But if your brain is telling you to take a break – you should listen. Don’t take too big a break though – I really want to hear about the rest of your adventures in Europe.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Is It Time To Get Off Your Fat Ass?

15 Noa Rose Choose the Present 07.05.08 at 3:23 am

Kelly,
I find every time I enlarge my world, by travel, education or other means, it makes me question and explore my chosen way of life. I think you’ve been through a life expanding experience, and you’re sorting though what it means to you ,and questioning how you will assimilate your new knowledge to make your existence more meaningful. Self growth is not always easy but it is always worthwhile. You’ve tilted your world a bit, and it may take a few weeks to find your new balance in life.

Noa Rose Choose the Present’s last blog post..Favorite 4th of July

16 Al at 7P 07.06.08 at 9:39 am

I just found your blog and was catching up about your vacation (which sounded like it was awesome).

You might be right that you’re instincts might be hyper-active for the new challenges, but for what it’s worth, I heard it can take a looong time to get over jet lag if you’re going to travel from east-to-west, which I think your Spain trip was. Either way, hope you’re getting back to the swing of things.

Al at 7P’s last blog post..Eight Rules of Leadership from George Washington