My relationships, my creative ambitions, future direction and sense of self have all been affected, with the result that I have spent much of the past few months wallowing in depression, not working out, not meditating, and comforting myself with far too much chocolate.
I am taking measures to rectify this situation, and when everything is calmer, and more certain (whatever that means) I will blog about it. For now, please forgive me if I don’t elaborate any further.
What I can say is I feel a great need to focus on staying in the present, expressing gratitude for all that I have, and taking simple steps to add some much needed pleasure and nurturing to my day.
The following is a reminder for me and you that a happy life is made up of the little things.
28 Ways I Can Add More Love and Joy to My Day
2. Take Bunny down to the harbour and watch him chase the seagulls. Then take him to feed the pelicans.
3. Watch one of my old Buffy the Vampire Slayer dvds. I am a MAJOR fan of Buffy and watching a bit of Joss Whedon story telling brilliance gets my creative juices flowing and really inspires me to work on creating real, conflicted characters and witty, intelligent dialogue.
4. Go for coffee and a chat with my mom.
5. Walk on the beach in bare feet. Dig my toes in the wet sand and play chicken with the waves. Pick up a stick so I can draw patterns in the sand as I walk.
6. Go and see a film by myself. Sit in my favorite position in the middle of the theatre, in the middle of the row. Yes, the middle position is VERY important. I must have a lot of chocolate available, preferably M&Ms and a big bottle of water.
7. Talk to my best friend for two hours on the telephone (she lives three hours drive away so we don’t see each other enough).
8. Run around and play soccer with my son in the park.
9. Lie on the beach and soak up the sun, concentrating on the heat of the rays warming my body through my clothes. It’s Spring here now, but not warm enough to lie out in a swimsuit. Besides, I’m trying to stop tanning before I end up with a leathery, prune face.
11. Head for a day out with the family, my camera in tow and taking tonnes of photos of my beautiful boy and the idyllic country I get to call home.
12. Do a boxing workout in my garage.
13. Surprise MusicMan with a special meal and then cuddle up and enjoy a glass of wine and some adult time once Bunny has gone to bed.
14. Watch Bunny and MusicMan play together – chasing and squealing, wrestling, redesigning the track for Thomas the Tank Engine. Together, they’re a beautiful sight.
16. Meander through the library or one of the big book stores, concentrating on the self-help, travel and fiction sections. I particularly love the stores where they have seats so you can sit down and leaf through the books that take your interest.
17. Stay in bed late on the weekend, have MusicMan bring me coffee and then lounge around reading the papers.
18. Run along the harbour and the beach near my home.
19. Go to an art gallery, photographic exhibition or a museum.
22. Drive up or down the coast with the windows down and the music blaring.
23. Have more barbecues and gatherings with friends and their families.
24. Make a cup of tea and sit down with my laptop to read my favorite blogs.
25. Go somewhere crowded, grab a coffee and indulge in some people watching.
27. Find a new recipe amongst my extensive collection of cookbooks and magazine clippings. Leisurely shop for the ingredients and then start cooking while playing my iPod favorites and drinking a glass of wine.
28. Go for a long walk around the mountain where I live.
What about you? What are the simple pleasures that make your life more meaningful? I’d really like to know.
Photo by curly exp(l)osure