Kickstart Your Brain With 21 TRUE Trivia Tidbits

by Kelly on September 8, 2008 · 24 comments

in Film. TV. Books. Music,Life. People. News,Women. Beauty. Feminism

21-trivia-facts.JPG

Today, I’m in the mood for a list. My last one was 25 Fast Facts About Women Around the World, and it was spurred on by my reading disturbing facts about the extent to which female inequality and abuse still exists.

In contrast, this list came about from me reading some silly trivia tidbits that a friend sent me. Did you know one quarter of the human body’s bones are in the feet?

So, after a couple of hours digging around the internet, this is my list of 21 TRUE Trivia Tidbits to kick your brain into gear for the start of this working week. Enjoy!

Aboriginal Australians were not counted as part of the population until the constitution was changed on 27 May, 1967

In Ethiopia and some areas of West Africa, some girls get married as early as age 7. Countries with high rates of child marriage are characterized by high poverty rates, birth rates and death rates and lower levels of overall development, including schooling, employment, health care.

The five most generous countries in the world with the highest rate of donor aid per capita are: Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, Netherlands and Sweden.

Dominica is the country with the highest overall crime rate at 113.822 per 1,000 people.

Taking into account both the Miss World and Miss Universe pageant winners, it would seem that Venezuela has the most beautiful women in the world. Their entrants have been crowned 9 times.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur. Typically they have over 100 stripes and the pattern is unique to each animal.

Humans are one of the rare animals that copulate face-to-face and for pleasure, not just reproduction. Bonobos, a type of chimpanzee, are the only other species to do so with the same regularity.

The shortest war on record, between Britain and Zanzibar in 1896, lasted just 40 minutes.

Until Sunday, September 3rd, 1967, driving was done on the left-hand side on roads in Sweden. The conversion to right-hand was done on a weekend at 5 am. All traffic stopped as people switched sides. All traffic with private motor-driven vehicles was prohibited four hours before and one hour after the conversion, in order to be able to rearrange all traffic signs.

Ingrown toenails are hereditary.

The worldwide “Spanish Flu” epidemic which broke out in 1918 is estimated to have killed anywhere from 20 to 100 million people in just two years.

The human penis is the largest of any living primate. The longest authentically recorded penis measured an impressive 30 cm (12 in) when erect. The smallest, according to the Kinsey Institute, measured only 2.5cm (1 in).

There is no scientific evidence that sugar creates hyperactivity or negatively affects children’s behavior.

Teeth are the only parts of the human body that can’t repair themselves.

The often touted statistic that women say 7,000 words per day, while men only manage 2,000 is a myth according to a 2007 study. The University of Arizona found that both men and women speak an average of 16,000 words per day.

In the 1800s Cocaine was introduced to Europe from South America. It was hailed as a wonder drug of great medicinal value and used to treat nervousness, depression, headaches, colds and sleeplessness. Today cocaine is still used for topical anesthesia in nose, throat and oral surgeries.

George Harrison was the first Beatle to have a Number 1 solo album (All Things Must Pass) following the group’s breakup.

The first CD pressed in the US – for commercial release – was Bruce Springsteen‘s ‘Born in the USA’.

The first interracial kiss on TV took place Nov. 22, 1968 between Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and Lt. Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) on an episode of “Star Trek.”

In 1975 Mattel released a controversial version of their Skipper Doll. Growing Up Skipper had breasts that grew if you rotated her arm.

Now, don’t you feel smarter and ready to take on a new week’s worth of challenges?

Photo by Guacamole Goalie

{ 2 trackbacks }

Treat Anxiety Anxiety Disorders Nervousness Download Professional Ebook Coaching
09.16.08 at 3:22 pm
100 Ways to Kickstart Your Brain On a Lazy Day | MatchACollege.com
03.31.09 at 8:50 pm

1 Urban Panther 09.08.08 at 11:41 pm

I remember that Skipper doll. I wanted that Skipper doll!

Urban Panther’s last blog post..To poo or not to poo, that is the question.

2 Kelly 09.08.08 at 11:44 pm

@Urban Panther
Crikey, you were fast! I barely pressed PUBLISH.

Kelly :)

3 Evelyn Lim 09.09.08 at 1:35 am

I’m intrigued. There are some amazing facts that I don’t know. It must have taken you some time to put this list together!

Thanks for sharing,
Evelyn

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..An Enchanting Vision From My Angels

4 Dot 09.09.08 at 1:49 am

These were fun. Some I had seen before, some not. On women talking more than men, I think there was another study that showed that men PERCEIVED women as talking more than they did, even when the women didn’t talk more or even talked less. I think all of us women have had the experience of speaking up in a group of men and having ourselves completely ignored as if we weren’t there. It seems that men either block out what we have to say, or hear it as talking too much.

My theory on this is that men prefer to talk about facts and to address issues with solutions, while women prefer to talk about processes (relationships, for example) and address issues with empathy. I think the men hear what we say as irrelevant, while we hear what they say as missing the point. There’s a linguist who wrote a few books about this subject and covers it much better than i do, but I can’t recall her name. One of her books was called “He said, She said.”

Dot’s last blog post..Welcome to My New Home!

5 Vered - MomGrind 09.09.08 at 3:03 am

This was fun!

I’m glad you included the statistics about how talkative women and men are. It annoys me to no end when people say that women talk nonstop. Well, it annoy me whenever they just slap a label on me based on my gender!

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..You Read Women’s Magazines? I’ll Give You Ten Reasons To Stop

6 Cath Lawson 09.09.08 at 4:05 am

Hi Kelly this is great info. I wonder how many girls swung their arms round, in the belief it would make their boobs grow, after seeing that doll?

It’s sad that girls as young as 7 are being forced into marriage. I knew folk in other countries got married young, but I had no idea it was that young.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..A Kick Ass Way To Get Your Novel Published

7 Lance 09.09.08 at 6:35 am

Bruce Springsteen’s CD “Born in the USA” was an awesome album!

Interesting facts – I guess I can consider myself smarter now, thanks to you!!

Lance’s last blog post..Sunday Thought For The Day

8 Kelly 09.09.08 at 7:33 am

Yes, it did a bit. It was fun though!

@Dot
Welcome to SHE-POWER. Thanks for commenting. I think you’re spot on here and I have actually browsed through that book you’re talking about before, though I can’t remember the author’s name either. I guess if someone is resistant to what you are saying (eg. men thinking women ALWAYS want to talk about the relationship) then it’s natural that they will think you are talking too much because no matter what you say they don’t want to hear it anyway!

Yes, I hate that stereotype too, particularly when the person saying it doesn’t communicate at all and the reason you have to talk is because you’re trying to elicit SOME kind of response from them. I searched this fact out because I did remember reading it and I wanted to include it to refute the incorrect trivia that goes around.

I love that album too. Bruce rocks!

also think that if someone is resistant to

9 Chris 09.09.08 at 7:40 am

Lots of interesting things…1 inch, huh?

Chris’s last blog post..A Friend In Need…, Part 8

10 SpaceAgeSage 09.09.08 at 8:35 am

Long live Star Trek!

Or should I say “Live long and prosper”?

SpaceAgeSage’s last blog post..Five things 15 years of marriage have taught me

11 kailani 09.09.08 at 9:09 am

A 40-minute war? I’m going to check that one out.

kailani’s last blog post..Working for Minimum Wage

12 Marelisa 09.09.08 at 9:17 am

That was a fun read (although a couple were a bit disturbing). While I was researching my brain articles I read that there are women in Africa who purposefully eat little protein when they are pregnant so that they’re babies will be small (making child birth easier). The problem is that these baby’s brains don’t develop as well as they should because protein is vital to proper brain development. Just thought I’d share a tidbit too :-)

Marelisa’s last blog post..How to Make Decisions

13 Kelly 09.09.08 at 12:19 pm

@Chris
Yes, 1 inch. Poor bugger. As for the dude on the other end of the spectrum – 30cm? Poor partners!

@SpaceAgeSage
A trekkie huh?

@Kailani
I know. I didn’t expect that one to be true when I first read it. Then I found a couple of sources for it. Amazing.

I’ve read that as well and you can see why the girls would do that when you consider the number of them who die in childbirth or develop fistula because their little bodies are not ready for delivering babies. When I was pregnant with Bunny, in the first 4 months when lots of brain development is happening, I was obsessed with meat. I wasn’t a big meat eater prior to that, but once I was pregnant I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When you consider it’s an important source for protein and iron it makes me marvel at how the human body tries to take care of itself.

14 Rita 09.09.08 at 12:40 pm

Kelly,
Oh! I love lists! They are my favorite type of blog (probably because my husband is ALWAYS making lists so I don’t forget things – and has learned to put one thing on the list that I’ve already DONE, so that way I will act on it!)
I must say, however, that the one that struck Catherine and Urban Panther is the one that got to me…heck, forget penises – for now. I want to learn that trick about rotating my arms to get breasts! I want a “Growing Up Rita Doll!” (And, btw: I saw that original “kiss” beween Ohura and Kirk…it was QUITE scandalous, and there were a LOT of parental – and OTHER – warnings. Thank goodness my parents were color blind, and brought me up to be the same way.)

Thanks for this – good stuff!

Rita

Rita’s last blog post..“I’m Your Number One Fan”*

15 Shamelle -TheEnhanceLife 09.09.08 at 1:02 pm

I remember when I was in school we had “general knowledge” quizzes and I used love learning and remembering such facts.

That was long long time ago ;-0) Reading your posts reminded me how much I loved knowing about things like these.
Very informative. Thank you
Shamelle

16 Shilpan | successsoul.com 09.09.08 at 1:44 pm

Kelly – This is my favorite, “The famous quote, “In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man – if you want anything done, ask a woman” was made by Margaret Thatcher, who was the the Prime Minister of England from 1979 – 1990, the only woman to ever hold that post in the political history of England”

Shilpan | successsoul.com’s last blog post..Charlie Chaplin’s Guide to Picking Yourself Up When Life Knocks You Down

17 Tom Volkar / Delightful Work 09.10.08 at 1:27 am

I don’t feel that much smarter but I was defintely entertained a couple of times. Very telling these facts you’ve chosen to share. :)

Tom Volkar / Delightful Work’s last blog post..Believe It Or Not

18 Kelly 09.10.08 at 8:50 am

@Rita
Hmm, maybe I turned my arm too much as a child and that’s why my chest size is a little too ample!

@Shamelle
In New Zealand we had general knowledge quizzes in primary school all the time, and I loved them too

@Shilpan
Yes, Ms Thatcher certainly was a ballsy woman. Shame about her politics…

@Tom
What do they say? That my vices are penises and cocaine and I have in-grown toenails? This could be true…

19 Al at 7P 09.10.08 at 3:43 pm

A war in 40 minutes? That sounds very appealing these days :(

Al at 7P’s last blog post..What’s More Important: Who You Are or What You Do?

20 Robin 09.10.08 at 5:55 pm

My sister’s Skipper doll didn’t do that! Frank wants one! (will they go to DDD?)

Cocaine was part of the original Coca-Cola, wasn’t it? (I’ll have to google it…)

see you Kelly!

Robin’s last blog post..Feelings Are There To Be Felt

21 Kelly 09.10.08 at 7:37 pm

@Al
Doesn’t it? Especially a bloodless one.

Yes, cocaine was part of the original coca cola recipe, and it’d be kinda weird to have a girls doll with DDD breasts, but when it comes to marketing and sales, anything is possible!

22 Barbara Swafford 09.12.08 at 5:43 am

What fascinating facts. I had a grandfather who died in 1919 of the Spanish Flu.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..You Have The Whole World In Your Hands