What’s Your Favorite City in the World?

by Kelly on September 19, 2008 · 30 comments

in Travel. Photography

2007-05-3a_1_3_1.jpg

When you ask people this question, you expect to hear cities like Paris, New York, London, even Sydney. What you probably don’t expect to hear is one of my top 3 cities - Mexico City.

I’d like to say Mexico City has a bad rap for its pollution and crime, but that wouldn’t be true. Both these elements exist. But Mexico City, or D.F as the locals call it, is so much more than either of these factors.

Mexico City is a city of contradictions. Heaven meets hell. Where you come face to face with the best and worst of humanity.

Mexico City is extreme wealth alongside heart breaking poverty. You’ll see Aztec pride in the Zocalo and dying beggars on the next corner. Modern buildings lie alongside grumbling, but still impressive colonial Spanish architecture.

Mexico City is home to groundbreaking artists like Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, and has some of the most amazing art and public murals in the world. There’s also the lush Bosque De Chapultepec, which is not only a beautiful lake park, but it contains some of Mexico City’s best museums, including the world famous National Anthropological Museum.

2007-05-3-077a_1_1.jpg

You may know that Mexico City has a rich history dating back to 1325, when it was built by the Aztecs. But did you know that an ancient Aztec Temple was discovered BENEATH the sinking streets of this city as recently as 1978? Crazy huh?

Mexico City has an energy that never sleeps, and some of the friendliest, most intense people I have ever met. Mexicans are patriotic people who have a zest for life that is infectious. They dance, they drink tequila, they will seduce you with their vigor and passion.

Mexico City embodies the raw power of life. I love it.

2007-05-3_1_3_1.jpg

Which city has your heart? Maybe it’s a city you’ve been to. Maybe it’s somewhere you’ve always dreamed of visiting. Tell me.

{ 1 trackback }

Alcohol Posts » What’s Your Favorite City in the World?
09.19.08 at 11:34 pm

1 BC Doan 09.19.08 at 11:31 pm

My favorite city is New Orleans, it’s unique in history, and cultures. I also love the music. Great post!

BC Doan’s last blog post..Positive Energy: It Takes Time to Change

2 Wearing Mascara 09.19.08 at 11:51 pm

Pittsburgh, PA… the people there are amazing and really in love with their city.

3 Urban Panther 09.20.08 at 12:31 am

I haven’t travelled much at all, and when I do, I stay the heck out of the cities! However, I would have to say that ‘meine Lieblingsstadt’ is Meersburg, Germany. Spent many hours wandering it’s streets during the 3 months I lived in Constance, Germany. Small, quaint, old worldish.

Urban Panther’s last blog post..Yep, right after I tidy up the kitchen

4 Hunter Nuttall 09.20.08 at 1:28 am

L.A. is my favorite place to visit, but only for a few days, and then you have to get out before you become one of them.

Hunter Nuttall’s last blog post..Stress Is For Suckers, Don’t Laugh At The Life Coach

5 jim johnston 09.20.08 at 1:29 am

Hey, I’m with you–I love it here in Mexico City

6 J.D. Meier 09.20.08 at 1:47 am

I’d have to say Key West, New Orleans or Sedona. Sedona just makes me feel good. Key West is just too cool with its glass bottom boats and dolphins and time warp. New Orleans had me at ghost tour and if you’ve ever read James Lee Burke, there’s something eerily addicting. If Catalina Island counts as a city, I’d have to say that’s up there too. Oh, and Vegas. I like the lights at night.

J.D. Meier’s last blog post..Use Stress to Be Your Best

7 Kelly 09.20.08 at 1:49 am

@B.C
MusicMan and I have always talked about going to New Orleans. The music, the food, the dancing - it all appeals to us.

@Wearing mascara
Nice to see you back again:) I don’t know much about Pittsburgh - I’ll have to google it.

@Urban Panther
I haven’t seen much of Germany - only Bavaria and Frankfurt, but it’s a great country with a fascinating history and excellent beer!

@Hunter
Yes, I have often wondered whether L.A would be fascinating or a disappointment. I’m hoping to get there next year with my first trip to the USA, so I’ll remember not to stay too long :)

@Jim Johnston
It’s the best, isn’t it? I’ve been twice already and spent about a month in the city in total. The last time I was driving in the cab from the airport I was so happy to be back I actually teared up. Viva la Mexico!

8 Vered - MomGrind 09.20.08 at 1:58 am

Haha at what Hunter said. :)

I used to respond with Vegas. I love the high energy, the glitz - it’s so tacky and ugly that it becomes beautiful. I love that it’s a place where you can be whoever you want to be. I love the shows, the restaurants, the hotels. I’m not much into gambling at all, but I just love that city.

But lately I’m thinking that I love where I live - San Francisco. It’s an amazing city. Culturally diverse, tolerant, full of unique, interesting people.

I think you just gave me an idea for a post!

Vered - MomGrind’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday: Mona Lisa, Enhanced

9 natural 09.20.08 at 6:41 am

NYC is first on my list without a doubt. I love it there..I’m about 35/40 minutes away….it’s so busy, full of life and crazy looking people you get to take pictures of. lots of different cultures. you can step in another world just buy going to different area.

i can’t think of any others, my other favorite places to visit is london…oh wait, i have to say where we vacation in NC..the outer banks.

natural’s last blog post..A Million Little Pieces

10 Chris 09.20.08 at 7:06 am

I been to many places and I can honestly say that Chicago and Madison, Wisconsin are two of my favorite places, Istanbul is close 3rd.

Chris’s last blog post..Opening Night

11 Kelly 09.20.08 at 7:24 am

@J.D
The USA is so big, there sounds like there are so many amazing places to see. Key West has always appealed to me because I love that laid back tropical vibe and I’ve always wanted to try Key Lime Pie.

Years ago I never understood why anyone would go to Vegas. Like you, I don’t gamble, except for fun in a friendly game of poker. But so many people have said the same thing about Vegas and how it has this surreal quality that hooks you in, now I have to go. And San Francisco has long been on my list of must-see cities. It think it came from the movies like Escape from Alcatraz, Bullitt and Dirty Harry. So, if we make it to the USA next year like we hope, I’ll come and visit you!

@Natural
New York is another on my list of must-see cities. When you love art, architecture, museums, Sex and the City and people watching, you’ve got to go to New York New York, don’t you? And London is amazing. That’s one of my Top 3 Favorite Cities.

@Chris
Know nothing about Wisconsin. Have a friend who lived in Chicago for two years and loved it. She recommended I go. And I would LOVE to go to Istanbul. Turkey seems like the most amazing country, and I always got on really well with my Turkish students, so it’s definitely on my list for the next 5 years or so.

12 Akemi "spiritual entrepreneur" @ Yes to Me 09.20.08 at 8:28 am

Portland, Oregon. It showed up in my meditation last year, so I picked up my stuff and moved from Nashville Tenn. I love it here. Beautiful trees, snow clad mountain in the distance, two hour drive to the great Pacific Ocean!

Akemi “spiritual entrepreneur” @ Yes to Me’s last blog post..Gratitude Friday, Edition 13, Gratitude And Train For Humanity

13 Lance 09.20.08 at 9:34 am

Great choices Chris - I love both of those as well!

I’m also going to throw Seattle in there - it’s another great place!

Lance’s last blog post..Cheerful Wins!

14 Evelyn Lim 09.20.08 at 10:46 am

I have not been to Mexico City, so I really enjoyed the photos and description that you’ve put up here.

I find it hard to reply to your question because I do not have a favorite city. I love all the places I have been. Given a chance, I’d love to visit them all over again. Then again, when I think about where I come from (Singapore), I also realize that I am staying in a great place myself!

Singapore is going through a major construction process to develop its tourist appeal. In another 2-3 years time, most of the current construction is going to be complete. At the same time, our government is promoting the arts scene by pumping in lots of funds into this area. It also hopes to attract more people from overseas to set up residency here. There is an explosion of color, sights and sound that is setting this city abuzz!

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..Attract Our Travel Dreams

15 Roz Mitchell 09.20.08 at 2:36 pm

This is a hard one as there is so many I really enjoy ,I have never been to India in this life .
I would say I would like India the extremes on all levels .The busling people traffic the bright colours every where the mystical places and people and the Indian Elephant yes India is my choice!Oh the silver jewellery!!

16 Kelly 09.20.08 at 2:38 pm

@Akemi
Hey, nice to see you here :) I love that you moved to a city which came up in your meditation. You must be very aligned with your inner self and have a lot of trust in that, and I think that’s beautiful. Your city sounds lovely. Where I live near Sydney has mountains and ocean within minutes, and I love that combination. Although we don’t get snow, which might be a nice novelty.

Seattle looks amazing in photos. Great skyline. That’s not where you live, is it Lance?

Spent a day in Singapore 10 years ago in between flights, but it doesn’t really count as a visit. All I remember is being tired and there were lots of tall buildings and everything was clean and the people very polite. Would like to come for a proper visit. Maybe then I could come and visit you too! :)

@Roz
Would also love to go to India. I always said I take myself there for my 40th birthday, but now it’s not that far off and it may have to wait a bit since I have some other priorities. One day though…

17 Cath Lawson 09.20.08 at 8:23 pm

Hi Kelly - Mexico city sounds amazing. I noticed that there was a lot of poverty in Playa - once you got aay from the main tourist streets.

I haven’t been to lots of cities. My favourites in the UK are London & Edinburgh. In Europe I loved Vienna. I only visited Paris briefly but I’d love to go back.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Recession Fears? Don’t Let The Whingers Get You Down

18 Ella 09.20.08 at 9:06 pm

My favorite city has to be New York although I’ve never been there. I know it’s a cliché but I dream of the day when I’ll finally be able to afford living in a luxurious hotel like Plaza and see the snow just like in the movies (Home Alone for example ^^). I dream of the wonderfully scented stores and the nightlife… It must be awesome. I have to go there one of these days although I’m a bit afraid that will be nothing like I have pictured it.

Ella’s last blog post..Ditching your negative self

19 Graham Strong 09.21.08 at 2:56 am

Hey Kelly,

Hard to pin down one favourite city. Definitely up there are London, Paris, and Toronto. However I should clarify that those are my favourite cities to visit, not necessarily live. I did live for a short time in London (actually Surbiton — closer to Kingston I guess, but the London ‘burbs, anyway) and near Toronto. I could see myself living in Paris if I were single, but not with a family.

My absolute favourite place in the world is the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town, which I think is also one of the most beautiful cities in the world. But overall, Cape Town would only be perhaps in my top 5…

(Have I bored everyone here enough? Thanks for letting me reminisce for a moment…)

~Graham

Graham Strong’s last blog post..Writer’s Block: Proper Diagnosis and Treatment

20 SpaceAgeSage 09.21.08 at 5:23 am

I don’t have a favorite city, but I feel it out there calling me. It would have to be small, but vibrant — I’m still too country to love NY or London. I’m sure it would most likely be tropical or at least not too cold in the winter. It absolutely must be filled with authentic people who love life and people, and their smiles will show it.

SpaceAgeSage’s last blog post..Can wisdom contradict itself?

21 Myrko | AwakeBlogger 09.21.08 at 6:45 am

I’ve never been to Mexico City. I saw a 1 hour city guide about it though which showed it as a energetic and chaotic but lovely metropolis :)

I’ve got one city I totally fell in love with last year: San Francisco. I wanted to be there right now but had to reschedule this visit to next March, unfortunately. The city is more european than many other US-cities. I like the energy-vibe, the many great places (Golden Gate, Alamo Square, California Street, and Alcatraz :)) and all the crazy parts of the city which is very tight nevertheless, i.e. compared to LA.

Also I like my current city Hamburg, Germany. For me the best place to be in Germany (compared to Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Cologne, Dusseldorf).

My all time Top 7 looks like this:

1. San Francisco
2. London
3. New York
4. Hamburg
5. Vancouver
6. Auckland
7. Cape Town

Myrko | AwakeBlogger’s last blog post..The 10 Very Best Zen Stories

22 Shelley 09.21.08 at 9:42 am

Of all the smelly, vibrant, stylish, dazzlingly sunny, intense and warming cities I’ve visited, I still put dreary London up there. Perhaps it’s the fashion and the arts, the old charm, the celebratory atmosphere of a lovely summer’s day in the park, and the fact I can never get a handle on it that works it’s energy like a magnet. But mostly, it’s about the humour. Let’s face it, Pommes know about wit and how to use it - yep, that’s what I love the most about London.

23 Tim Brownson 09.21.08 at 12:56 pm

@ Awake Blogger - Wow we have the same top 3 in the right order too! That’s amazing.

SF is hands down my favorite although I suspect if I ever get to Oz, Sydney would be up there.

In the US I also love Key West, San Diego and New Orleans and in the UK, Bath is probably the most beautiful city and steeped in culture, and Edinbugh isn’t far behind.

Athens if amazing too and my wifes fave is Barcelona although I’ve never been.

Tim Brownson’s last blog post..How Do You Change Somebody Else?

24 Kelly 09.21.08 at 10:43 pm

I haven’t been to Vienna, but Salzburg in Austria was one of the most picturesque cities I ahve ever been to. Just medieval perfect.

@Ella
Just go. Make a plan. make it happen!

@Graham
Living is different to visiting, isn’t it? I could probably live In Mexico City for a year or so, but after that I’d probably get sick of the smog. Since I became a mom I’ve really become much more attached to my own country as the best place to live and raise kids. Before that, I thought I could easily emigrate elsewhere. Now I see the great beauty Sydney is, and I appreciate our high quality of life.

@SpaceAgeSage
“would most likely be tropical… filled with authentic people who love life and people, and their smiles will show it.” - sounds like heaven. When you find it let me know.

25 Kelly 09.21.08 at 10:54 pm

@Awake Blogger
Hi, and welcome to the SHE-POWER community, hope you come and see us again some time. Mexico City is definitely “energetic and chaotic”. That’s probably what I love best about it. Bangkok is similar and I love that city too. Most of your Top 7 I haven’t been to, but they all sound good. Auckland is a beautoful city, thoguh I prefer Wellington myself. I lived there for 10 years - it’s got a lot going for it, though not the weather. San Francisco is also near the top of my list and Cape Town too. I haven’t been to the African continent yet.

@Shelley
With weather like theirs, Poms have to find the funny side of life, don’t they? And yes, London rocks!

@TimBrownson
I get why your wife loves Barcelona. It would be in my Top 5 favorite cities too. It’s so cultured, friendly, and cool, and Barceloneta by the harbour is beautiful!. MusicMan and I just fell in love with the place. I’ve never been that into visiting the U.K, but so many people tell me how great Edinburgh is.

Thanks everyone

26 Graham Strong 09.21.08 at 11:57 pm

In all fairness, I haven’t been to Sydney (yet), but from everything I hear, I think I’d love it too. New Zealand really appeals to me as well. Both countries, I fear, that I won’t visit for at least another 15 years…

~Graham

Graham Strong’s last blog post..…Now with Linky Love!

27 Lance 09.22.08 at 6:43 am

No…Seattle is not my home, I’ve only visited there. I hale from small-town Wisconsin…

Lance’s last blog post..Sunday Thought For The Day

28 ahmed hassan 05.20.09 at 4:50 pm

hi
my favourite city is sydney australia

29 Hildegarde 01.10.14 at 7:07 am

I like it when folks get together and share thoughts.
Great website, stick with it!