Quote of the Week – Happy For No Reason

by Kelly on October 29, 2008 · 21 comments

in Creativity. Writing. Blogging,Inspiration. Happiness. Self Improvement

happy-for-no-reason.JPG

“When you’re happy for no reason, you’re unconditionally happy. It’s not that your life always looks perfect – it’s just that however it looks, you’ll still be happy.”

Marci Shimoff, Author of Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out

———————————————–

Hi guys, I haven’t been online or posting due to a complete computer meltdown which has driven me insane for the past 10 days. That problem seems to be fixed now, but I’m still having trouble with SHE-POWER, so if I’m a bit absent here and around the blogasphere, then that’s why.

Sorry, I have nothing insightful to say on this quote other than I’m trying to maintain my happiness levels by dealing with these technical issues one at a time and with lots of deep breathing so I don’t rip all my hair out!

Right now I hate computers so I’m appreciating the amount of time I’m spending off-line. And if this post doesn’t publish, I’m giving the site 20 minutes of my time to try and source the problem. Any more than that and the laptop could well go our the window.

This is called managing my life and the recurring sources of frustration to optimize happiness. The computer is making me unhappy so I’m going to refuse to deal with it until I am able to in a calm and clinical manner. If I don’t blog again for another 3 months, well what can I say, I’m not so great at being calm or clinical.

Here goes nothing.

PUBLISH.

Hope to see you on the other side.

Kelly :)

Photo by falsalama

1 Lance 10.29.08 at 8:13 pm

Hey, it worked Kelly – you can save the computer (and yourself!)…although – being “offline” does have it’s privileges. So, hopefully you did get to enjoy some of the last ten days! Your picture here still looks happy…

Lance’s last blog post..At One Hundred, Life Is…

2 BC Doan 10.29.08 at 8:45 pm

It’s published just fine. I can relate to your frustration with computer problem. The quote is very inspiring! “It’s not that your life always looks perfect – it’s just that however it looks, you’ll still be happy.” I’ll take this part to heart! Take care..

3 Evelyn Lim 10.29.08 at 9:34 pm

Hey there, Kelly! It works! Can it be that your guides have been telling you to take a break?

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..I Dreamed I Was A Butterfly

4 Urban Panther 10.30.08 at 2:07 am

LOL I have ZERO patience for technical glitches. The Urbane Lion has learned to recognize the early signs of my frustration now (screaming, and banging things) and rushes over to rescue me. So far, the only payment he has requested for resolving problems, is a kiss. I LIKE that kind of bartering system!

Urban Panther’s last blog post..Jumping to the Island of Conclusions

5 SpaceAgeSage -- Lori 10.30.08 at 3:08 am

That’s why having a heavy bag to whale on with kicks and punches can be medicinal!

You are a fun blogger to read, so I hope you keep it up, but life is too short to waste trying to kill your computer, so I hope the blue bird of happiness comes along to impart clarity, humor, and some needed encouragement.

6 Graham Strong 10.30.08 at 3:32 am

Hey Kelly,

Grab the backpack, jump on a plane, and have lunch in the Serengeti watching the migration of the wildebeest.

If that doesn’t pump up the happy-ness, I don’t know what will! (Besides, there’s nowhere to plug in a computer there anyway…)

~Graham

Graham Strong’s last blog post..The Art of Perception (Part III): Are Customers Getting The Right Perception of Your Business?

7 Mike Goad 10.30.08 at 4:43 am

Looks like it worked. Computer problems can be really annoying and even when you’re not having computer problems, you need to take a break from ’em. We took four days off last week. Even though the computers were along, we never pulled ’em out of their bags.

Mike Goad’s last blog post..“I’m not _______, but…”

8 Vered - MomGrind 10.30.08 at 4:43 am

Yay it published!

It’s a wonderful quote. I don’t think I can ever be like that, but I envy people who can.

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..Should “A-List Bloggers” Close Comments?

9 Marelisa 10.30.08 at 6:20 am

HI Kelly: About four months ago I was having serious internet problems (it was unbelievably slow and would not access certain web sites and blogs). Computer problems are very frustrating, I felt like throwing my modem out the window, so I know where you’re coming from. I’m glad you were able to publish this post, both for your sanity and for your laptop’s well-being :-)

Marelisa’s last blog post..How to Enter the “Flow State”

10 Barbara Swafford 10.30.08 at 9:26 am

Hi Kelly – Sometimes it’s good to take time away from our computers even if they’re not acting up. Grab a glass of wine and enjoy being happy for no reason at all. Cheers!

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..It’s All About Me – Part 3

11 Kelly 10.30.08 at 1:49 pm

I did get to enjoy my time off, particularly after the third day because by then I was so over computers I couldn’t be bothered to even look at it. I just shut off and buried yself in family life and reading. It’s been lovely actually.

@B.C Doan
It is an inspiring quote. I like it to remind myself that we can be happy at any time if we just focus on being gratefyul for what we have, rather than focusing on what is not working.

I did think about that actually. The break has been put to very good use and has me re-sorting my rpriorities. I’ll probably write about it soon.

@Urban Panther
You’re lucky Urbane Lion has patience for these things. MusicMan’s no better than I am at staying cool, calm and collected in the face of frustration. I think he loses it quicker than I do!

12 Kelly 10.30.08 at 1:59 pm

@SpaceAgeSage
I am a fan of the boxing bag and yes, it has got quite a workout the past week. And I’m on the look out for blue birds. Lots of parrots around my house, but so far nothing blue :)

@Graham
Agh, don’t talk abut backpacking to me. I’m trying to develop some positive feeling about our decision to pay down debts next year rather than travel. Even thinking about the Serengeti makes me want to change my mind and scream “Bugger the economy and being sensible, I’m going to be my usual carefree self and throw my money around!”

@Mike
I wish I could say the glitches are fixed, but they’re not. The SHE-POWER template is not updating right now and I keep getting error messages when I try to change anything. But I don’t want to spend time fixing it right now so I’ll leave it until I have some patience and some time.

Ah Vered, you’d be surprised what you can do. It’s all about focusing on being grateful for our blessings and staying in the moment, and while it’s not easy it can be done with practice. I’m still learning, but considering how far I’ve come I believe anyone can change their happiness mindset.

Yes, the laptop is safe for now. It’s working again (mostly), but SHE-POWER is still in my bad books for non-compliance of orders :)

@Barbara
I never need to be talked into a glass of wine, so I’ll take your suggestion as permission for an extra glass :)

13 Robin 10.30.08 at 4:22 pm

Hi Kelly!
You don’t do a half-bad post when you are tearing your hair out – that’s a really good point about the happiness thing. See you when you surface!

Robin’s last blog post..How A Lot Of Wind Changed My Plans

14 Natural 10.30.08 at 11:18 pm

i saw your tweets and that you were having problems and i thought back to my own frustration when my internet wasn’t working. the first few hours are the worse, then you find something else to do, then you go crazy cause you want the internet back. hope you stay sane in the process, but this post went through. maybe try the library. inet is free there, right?

Natural’s last blog post..Answering Comments: Obligation, Optional or Off?

15 Eugene 10.31.08 at 11:56 am

looking forward for more information about this. thanks for sharing. Eugene

16 Davina 10.31.08 at 4:07 pm

Hi Kelly. Boy do I understand computer problems and the frustration that goes hand-in-hand with them! Hope things are coming together now.
Make sure you leave a bit of hair for the next time… 😉

Davina’s last blog post..A Ghostly Life Experience

17 mark_hayward 10.31.08 at 11:55 pm

Hey Kelly – nothing worse than computer problems! Well, of course, there are worse things but when we’re in the middle of them it’s hard to fathom anything else…I still remember (and probably always will!) the afternoon we launched Train for Humanity my internet service went down and did not come back for THREE days.

It’s heading into summer, isn’t it? Hopefully you’ve been able to spend some time outside instead. :)

mark_hayward’s last blog post..One Month After the Launch: Ten Lessons Learned

18 Cath Lawson 11.01.08 at 3:54 am

Hi Kelly – when I read the quote I thought you were going to say you’d found the key to eternal happiness :) Sorry you’re having computer problems. Don’t worry – I won’t forget about you while you’re trying to get things sorted.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Run Your Small Business Like A Rock Star

19 Mark Salinas 11.01.08 at 5:49 am

Awesome quote! You have a way with words! Enjoy your weekend!

Mark Salinas’s last blog post..Halloween Round-Up

20 Kelly 11.03.08 at 9:09 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know I haven’t been around answering you all individually, but i do appreciate your support while i am trying to sort out my computer hassles.

Kelly xx

21 Aimee 11.12.08 at 7:27 pm

Is it even possible to be happy for no reason? I find that hard to believe…

Aimee’s last blog post..What’s in a Bottled Water?