SHE-POWER Fiction: A Taste of Eve

by Kelly on October 11, 2008 · 20 comments

in Creativity. Writing. Blogging,Kelly's Fiction

taste-of-eve1.jpg

I know what everyone’s saying about me. I’m not stupid.

They think I am because I’m beautiful and I don’t have a job. But brains and beauty are not mutually exclusive, and I don’t have a job because I’m smart enough to know that with my looks I don’t need one.

Don’t hold it against me. It’s hardly my fault. Blame my religious freak of a mother and my deadbeat dad. Her Spanish ancestry obviously blended well with his Irish baby-face and emerald eyes. It’s biology, nothing personal. I’ve just made the best of it. You would too if you were in my shoes.

You think I’m boasting now, but I’m not. This is actually relevant. They only think I did it because I’m one of those people who has coasted through life. I’ve got a sports car, a house with water views, a designer wardrobe, no career to speak of, and I’m a familiar face at most A-list parties and events.

I lead what many would say is a charmed life. And I got here because I’m beautiful. Well, that and I married a wealthy South African.

Peter has hotels and collects art and vintage cars for fun. He’s a silver tongued charmer who always gets what he wants and once he wanted me. These days he likes to share his love around, but that’s not so bad when you consider how well his guilt pays off. Diamonds, vacations, even an island named after me. Every public mistake has come with a rich reward.

So, you shouldn’t judge without hearing my side of the story, knowing where I come from and how I managed to get to where I am today. And if this doesn’t put me in a good light, well I guess that’s just too bad. I never was one for pleasing people. I always found that it was just too hard. And nowhere near as fun as pleasing myself.

What I will promise is I won’t sugar coat it – I’m not scared to admit my mistakes. But you also have to remember this is my story and I’m going to tell it how I see it. If you have a problem with that, then I suggest you go check out someone else’s fable.

If you read the papers or turn on the tv you’ll hear plenty of people telling their version, saying they know me and they’ve got all the gory details. But what makes them more believable than me? My truth is as close as you can get. And what is truth anyway? Just a series of perceptions that we hold close to our heart and will defend to the death, but which 50% of other people would completely disagree with. Maybe more.

It’s like if you asked my mother how I came to marry Peter. She’d tell you I was a whore who got lucky. Or a whore who blackmailed a rich man to be my husband and personal banker. But my mother is a religious nut who never did one good thing for me my whole life.

If you think I’m being too harsh, well you’re just like my brother. He’s one of those new age types always looking for meaning in things. I don’t see the point myself. Life is what it is and we just make the best of it.

My brother says mom is a lost woman searching for something. She did the best she could but she made mistakes. I say that’s a fucking understatement and the less we say about my mother the better. See what I mean about the truth being personal?

Get to the story, I hear you yell. Well, don’t be so rude. But since you’ve been so patient and stayed with me for my convoluted beginning I’ll start at the point when I knew Peter was going to leave me. The bastard!

I’m not admitting anything, but he deserved to die after that.

Photo by Kiss Birds

1 Lance 10.11.08 at 7:31 pm

Kelly, again very powerful writing style. I like how the picture really helps to set the stage for the story, and complements it very well. You’ve done a great job of leading the reader (me) along, to the point where I want to know what happens next. I do – what did Peter do????

Lance’s last blog post..Coaches…Not Just For Football Players

2 Evelyn Lim 10.11.08 at 8:49 pm

Oh wow….I’m so enjoying this story. For a while, I thought it was real and you are writing about yourself. Love the story! You should think about continuing it!

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..Heroes Of Healing: Neale Donald Walsch

3 Jenny Mannion 10.11.08 at 9:34 pm

Wow Kelly! Your writing is SO excellent. More more more! You always bring me right into the story and have such a gift for developing characters. Wonderful job! Love, Jenny

Jenny Mannion’s last blog post..Seven Ways to Stay Positive and Happy During “Uncertain Times”

4 BC Doan 10.11.08 at 10:56 pm

I love the tone of this story, and like Lance, I thought I’m reading your life story. It’s so real and all I can say is WOW…Power to Eve!

5 Andrea Hess|Intuition In Business 10.11.08 at 11:30 pm

What a breath of fresh air. The first paragraph just sucked me right into the story. Awesome job!

Blessings,
Andrea

Andrea Hess|Intuition In Business’s last blog post..Expanding Your Financial Frame of Reference

6 Vered - MomGrind 10.12.08 at 3:47 am

I’m really enjoying your fiction, Kelly.

I want to read more!

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..What’s RIGHT With Your Life?

7 Kelly 10.12.08 at 6:48 am

Thank you. I love this picture too. As soon as I saw it I knew it was perfect for Eve. I wish my legs looked like that! As for the story, it came out of nowhere yesterday and I quite like it myself.

@Evelyn and B.C
I wish I had a house with water views and an island named after me!

@Jenny

@Andrea
Welcome to SHE-POWER and thanks for commenting. In creative writing the first paragraph is the most important so thanks for the compliment. I wanted to suck you in :)

I might just do more with this. Eve has intrigued me. And by the way, I just left another comment at your site because your spam filter didn’t accept my reply to your last post. And the second comment hasn’t come up either, so not sure what’s going on there.

8 Marelisa 10.12.08 at 12:04 pm

I don’t like Eve, but I want to know the rest of the story. I think it’s more important for characters to be interesting than likable.

Marelisa’s last blog post..Five Amazing Stress-Busting Methods on YouTube

9 Kelly 10.12.08 at 11:23 pm

I’d definitely agree with you. Sometimes likable can be boring. I like to mix things up, hence the invention of Eve.

10 Cath Lawson 10.13.08 at 2:33 am

Hi Kelly – this is brilliant and unique. You write brilliantly in the first person. But now I’m wondering what Peter did too. After all, she didn’t mind him having affairs, so why did he deserve to die? Are you writing more, or is this it.

Remember you left us wondering what was going to happen at that barbeque in the story before you went to Spain and we’re still waiting to find out. It’s like promising a pudding if we eat all our salad, then telling us we can’t eat it until we’ve lost 14 pounds.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Thanks For Reading With Your Mouth Shut

11 Stacey / Create a Balance 10.13.08 at 8:37 am

Wow! This is the first fiction that I read of yours. It’s great. At first I was confused. Then curious who you were writing about. Then very impressed when I reached my ah-ha moment (Kelly is a fabulous fiction author). I’m hooked! Tell us more!!!

Stacey / Create a Balance’s last blog post..How To Embrace a Money Recess

12 Kelly 10.13.08 at 6:37 pm

I do feel bad about the other short story being cut off, but I never expected it to turn into a series and wasn’t prepared for it. To continue on I need to do some plotting to see where I’m taking it and then it’s a novella or novel and I already have one of those. Basically, I’m trying to decide which project to focus on first. Hence why I’m only posting stand alone pieces right now. I’m trying to juggle more priorities and get my ducks in line – but it’s hard because the last few months of the year are crazy busy for me and I’m having trouble keeping up my posting at SHE-POWER, let alone anything else. But Eve is interesting and there might be more there, so I’ll keep you posted.

@Stacey
Hey, did my comments ever pop up at your blog? I was chewed up by Akismet on the weekend wherever I commented – I have no idea why. Did you see I’ll do the Life Balance post? And as for this Taste of Eve – I’m glad you liked it!

13 Cath Lawson 10.14.08 at 10:21 am

Hi Kelly – I understand what you mean. I think it’s amazing you manage to get a novel and short stories written and your blog too. And your other short story was turning into novel length. It’s brilliant that you can do both though. I find short stories very difficult. It would be ace if you could get one published. That would help when you’re looking for an agent for your novel.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Making Money From A Blog: Mistakes To Avoid

14 Chris 10.14.08 at 11:52 am

Now that’s confidence and power…How much is Kelly in this character? You don’t need to answer, I’m just thinking out loud.

Chris’s last blog post..My Back

15 Kelly 10.14.08 at 2:06 pm

Basically, I need a time out to set some writing priorities and personal direction – I’ve been thinking this a lot lately. It’s just too hard to juggle so many balls and also step back for a broader view of your life and define a path as to how one might get there. It’s just a matter of the right timing now.

@Chris
Hmm, I’m not beautiful, I don’t have a rich South African husband, I’d cut MusicMan’s family jewels clear off if he “shared his love around” and I’ve mostly supported myself since I was 18 years old. I’m not sure if any of this is me, except the brassiness of Eve. Maybe she’s who I’d like to be…

16 Natural 10.16.08 at 9:50 am

This was a great read and why was I reading it with a southern drawl. I use voices for other people’s writing. I loved this: I don’t have a job because I’m smart enough to know that with my looks I don’t need one. work it eve.

Natural’s last blog post..Why Poverty?

17 Kelly 10.17.08 at 8:09 am

@Natural
That’s interesting – a Southern Drawl huh? I imagine voices too when I read, but obviously being an Aussie and writing in first person for this one I imagined an Australian accent. Glad you liked it.

18 Dot 10.23.08 at 5:19 am

Sad thing about fiction — everybody thinks every character is you. Tough when you’re writing about a character like this. I kind of like her, though. She’s tough, but she’s had to be.

“My brother says mom is a lost woman searching for something. She did the best she could but she made mistakes. I say that’s a fucking understatement and the less we say about my mother the better. ” Ain’t it the truth.

Dot’s last blog post..Weird Tip Tuesday – Smelly Feet

19 Dot 10.23.08 at 5:20 am

PS – Loved it and want to read more.

Dot’s last blog post..Weird Tip Tuesday – Smelly Feet

20 Weight Loss Blog 12.16.08 at 8:14 am

Hi, hope this comment gets through I’m still somewhat new to this whole blogging thing.
nice post! I discovered your blog while
Googling other people’s weight loss experiences. I’ve actually just started blogging about
my weight loss success story – I lost over 30 pounds in a month
with a diet I developed!

I would really appreciate it if you could visit my weight loss blogand tell me what you think.
Warmest wishes,