Picture Perfect Romance

by Kelly on November 25, 2008 · 29 comments

in Parenting. Relationships

Last Friday, Musicman and I celebrated 10 years of marriage. To commemorate this milestone, we left Bunny with mom and went away for the weekend to Avoca Beach on the NSW Central Coast.

Avoca is a relaxed beach paradise and my idea of romantic heaven. We stayed in an apartment on the crest overlooking Avoca beach, and the view was to die for. Floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors in each room ensured there was expansive ocean and lush greenery wherever you looked. You could even sit on the toilet and see the view!

I trawled the internet for hours trying to find the “right” place for us to spend our anniversary weekend. Initially we had planned to fly to Queensland for a few days, but the global financial crisis made us decide to take a less expensive break closer to home and use the difference to pay down some Spain debt.

I was over the moon when I discovered the Blue Seas Villas, not only because Avoca fit our requirements of a lazy beach town we could drive to, but our apartment had the requisite ocean views and a distinctive Greek inspired decor, making it an inviting “home away from home” for a few days.

MusicMan and I have a real aversion to bland luxury hotel chain style accommodation. This hotel was a nearby option for us and one of the few on the Central Coast of NSW that had water views. But if you check out the pictures you’ll see the room itself is nothing special.

In contrast, our apartment offered total privacy, a large balcony with a table and day bed, a comfortable sofa, lots of personal touches and a really romantic atmosphere. I’ll admit to also loving the huge plasma television and cable connection which gave me a couple of hours of Sex and the City viewing pleasure on an overcast Saturday afternoon.

And that was the only downside really. The weather was gorgeous on Friday for a long walk along the beach and some exploring of the area (there were some amazing houses that backed directly onto the sand and were architectural dreams), but Saturday and Sunday were really quite chilly.

As a result I didn’t get to indulge in the body surfing and sun bathing I had planned, but at least we did get one colorful sunset to go with tapas and champagne on our apartment balcony.

And really, you can’t complain about time indoors spent watching Daniel Craig in the new James Bond film, Quantum of Solace (loads of fun), or eating seafood and watching the waves, or talking for hours while cuddling and sipping scotch (MusicMan) and kahlua (me).

We might have also found other recreational activities to whittle away the hours, but I would be far too discreet to talk about that. Let’s just say that I came home feeling very very happy and relaxed.

I still plan on doing a post about marriage, but to be honest I haven’t done much thinking over the past few days, so I’ll have to sit down and gather some ideas this week.

In the mean time, I’d love to hear your ideas of what makes a perfect romantic getaway. Do you like the beach or the country, or maybe perusing museums and drinking lattes in the city? Time to fess up.

1 Evelyn Lim 11.25.08 at 8:41 pm

You and your husband look so lovely together!! Avoca sounds like a great place for a romantic getaway *wink*. It’s also nice that you managed to catch up on so many good movies. Glad to know that you came home feeling happy and relaxed!!

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..Law Of Attraction Quiz

2 Kelly 11.25.08 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Evelyn. The movies were a definite bonus and luckily something both MusicMan and I enjoy.

3 BC Doan 11.25.08 at 10:41 pm

Sound like you’ve created a wonderful memory together! As for a romantic get away weekend, the beach would be my top choice! I love being near the water…the wind, the waves, the sand…heaven!

4 Jenny Mannion 11.26.08 at 12:06 am

Wow Kelly - you guys are a beautiful couple! Congratulations!

Ray and I like the country and long walks together. A nice inn is also wonderful! The beach is always relaxing although it has been quite a while since we actually had a getaway at one — usually beach vacations mean bring the kids — but that can change soon now that they are older. The most important aspect for us is the ability to be without the kids for a little while so we can reconnect without having to worry about what we’re going to get them for dinner or the day-to-day things that come up with children. I think it is VERY important for a marriage (especially after kids when time flies) to really spend that one on one time together. I know I can get caught up in my “mommy” role and somehow that doesn’t always allow for my most relaxed state! ;-)

I am very happy for you Kelly and wish you many more years of happiness with musicman!

Love,
jenny

Jenny Mannion’s last blog post..The Reconnection - A Healing Modality Like No other

5 dontloseyourhair 11.26.08 at 1:01 am

Hi there, it’s really good to see a well written blog that’s insightful as well as entertaining. cheers!

6 Urban Panther 11.26.08 at 1:34 am

Congrats! And your accomodations sounded wonderful! Okay, your question is an easy one for me to answer because the Lion and I just went away for our 1 Year Anniversary. It was just for 24 hours, but it was heaven. We simply went to the cottage. Wood burning stoves to keep the place heated, ice on the lake and a skiff of snow, fondue dinner, music, no noise, no computers … some activities that will remain discreet. Then a bed with an unobstructed view of the lake … some activities that will remain discreet. Waking up to the sun rising over the water …some activities that will remain discreet. Mimosas, espresso, breakfast, sharing of gifts … some activities that will remain discreet. A refreshing nap, then home. PERFECT.

Urban Panther’s last blog post..Are sweatpants disrespectful?

7 Vered - MomGrind 11.26.08 at 2:53 am

You do look great together. I’m so glad you had a good time!

8 Davina 11.26.08 at 4:13 am

Hi Kelly. Happy Anniversary. And wow, your husband has the most beautiful eyes! Your getaway sounds relaxing and cozy. My idea of a romantic getaway involves the country and cozy inns. Taking long walks. Going on picnics. Sitting on a patio in the sun sipping daiquiris. Sitting on a porch swing. Sitting by the fire on cold evenings drinking a really good glass of red wine. And then there’s the bear rug by the fire…. ;-)
Davina’s last blog post..Small Steps To Empower Your Attitude

9 Kim Woodbridge 11.26.08 at 4:48 am

I was thinking the same thing Davina said - your husband has intense eyes. I’m so glad you guys had such a wonderful time.

Kim Woodbridge’s last blog post..Google Page Rank - A Sudden 3 Point Drop!!!

10 Kelly 11.26.08 at 7:27 am

@B.C
Great minds think alike :)

@Jenny
You’re so right about the “mommy” role, and I realised this weekend just how much being away from that role releases the woman within, if you know what I mean. I felt like a whole other person, or at least the person I used to be.

@UP
While I am a beach fan, MusicMan and I have had a lovely country getaway in years gone by so I know how romantic this setting can be. Your bedroom with the view of the lake sounds very nice. And there’s a certain familiarity about the rhythm of your stay that I can relate to. Happy Anniversary :)

11 Kelly 11.26.08 at 7:34 am

Thanks. It was awesome. Even though it was only a few days, I actually feel a bit flat to be home and back to the daily grind.

@Davina
MusicMan is very handsome and his eyes were one of the first things that attracted me to him. Well, that along with his height, plump cushion lips and bulging biceps - okay there was lots to be attracted to!

If you see this post, http://she-power.com/2008/09/23/an-australian-delinquent-in-paris/, you’ll notice Bunny was lucky enough to inherit his dad’s beautiful blue eyes and mega lashes.

And your idea of a break sounds very relaxing. I love to chill out and do nothing sometimes.

@Kim
Thanks Kim. I’m glad we did something memorable, as 10 years is a long time in my book. I’ve been married longer than my parents were, which seems strange.

12 Natural 11.26.08 at 7:52 am

happy anniversary!

perfect romantic getaway? anywhere WARM we can relax and have conversation. i’m a low maintenance chick: could be home, could be an empty diner.

Natural’s last blog post..Being Human In the Age of the Electronic Mob

13 Lance 11.26.08 at 11:44 am

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time - happy 10 years!!

For a nice get-away, I like the beach. Something about the sound of the water, the sunsets, the calm as evening sets in - that makes for a great atmosphere.

Lance’s last blog post..Askā€¦And You Shall Receive

14 Jannie 11.26.08 at 1:23 pm

I think skiing at a romantic chalet with a big tub in our handsome suite would be just fine . Room service. Stocked bar. Fireplace after a good day on the slopes! Yeah, I ‘d like that.

Jannie’s last blog post..Why do you blog?

15 Kelly 11.26.08 at 10:21 pm

@Natural
Mostly I’m low maintenance too. In fact, the day we left to go away I said to MusicMan I wondered whether we should just holiday at home while Bunny was at his grandma’s. Our area is gorgeous too with sweeping beaches, but I’m glad we went away because there’s something about not being at home that really allows you to relax 100%.

Amen to that!

@Jannie
I can’t ski, but the chalet with a stocked bar definitely sounds fun :)

16 Mark 11.26.08 at 11:56 pm

What a couple! Happy Thanksgiving!

17 Noa Rose Choose the Present 11.27.08 at 2:53 am

There is no single perfect romantic getaway for me–I like variety! Sometimes it’s a weekend in the city, or a couple of days at the beach. I think the important thing is to mix up the routine and spend some one on one time with your special someone away from the daily grind…..anticipation and mini breaks keep a long term marriage interesting!

Noa Rose Choose the Present’s last blog post..Worth It Chapter 12

18 Kelly 11.27.08 at 9:46 am

@Mark
We don’t do thanksgiving in Australia, but thanks anyway. Hope you have a good one :)

@Noa Rose
Hi, haven’t seen you on the comments board for awhile. thanks for stopping by.

“the important thing is to mix up the routine and spend some one on one time with your special someone away from the daily grind” - I agree completely.

19 Donna 11.27.08 at 3:01 pm

Happy anniversary Kelly, haven’t those 10 years gone so by fast? My husband and I love the beach to relax and unwind. Rather than buy gifts when its our birthdays, christmas etc we buy weekends away for each other and the beach is the overall winner for us.
I can lose myself for hours just staring at the view.

20 Kelly 11.27.08 at 3:20 pm

@Donna
They have gone by fast. It’s hard to believe. I think your idea of having getaways instead of gifts is a great idea. Most of us have more than enough “stuff” now anyway. Better to share experiences than exchange items that will be soon forgotten.

kelly

21 Monika Mundell 11.27.08 at 6:40 pm

You two are a lovely couple and those pics just make my mouth water with my own need for a getaway. You look so relaxed and it is great to see you took some time to pamper yourself, especially for the mind. All to often we tend to forget about this.

I also saw Bond this weekend but was a little disappointed from the last one. It might grow on me if I watch it again.

My perfect romantic getaway would be in Bora Bora, strolling along a powder white beach, with the volcanic backdrop, before lying in a queen size hammock sipping chilled white and nibbling on some delicious local seafood - followed by a romantic dinner on the beach under the stars of the Pacific and then off for some X rated night time activities. :)
Monika Mundell’s last blog post..Fast Track Your Article Writing Time

22 Kelly 11.28.08 at 9:06 am

@Monika
Nice to see you here again. How are you feeling these days? Bora Bora would be lovely. One day…

Quantum of Solace definitely was not as good as Casino Royale, but I still thought it was good and I never expected it to be as good as CR, which was an amazing film, Bond or not.

Hope life is treating you well.

23 Robin 11.28.08 at 4:05 pm

Hi Kelly! MusicMan looks gorgeous! And so do you both in your lair.

We like the surfie cabins at Lennox Head camping ground - they are pretty basic, but they are 1.5 minutes walk to the sand (I timed it) on the surf beach, they overlook a tea-tree lake, and are 15 mins walk from the shops - which include Thai, Mexican, and most importantly pizza!

Congratulations on your 10 years!

Robin’s last blog post..Why We Sabotage Ourselves

24 Cath Lawson 11.29.08 at 5:32 am

Hi Kelly - I read this the other day and was too knackered to leave a comment. It sounds like you had an awesome time - despite the weather.

I love all types of romantic break from city to country to seaside. I really loved Mexico and I’ve also had fab times with my husband in lots of places including Vienna, London, Edinburgh and Gleneagles.

25 Kelly 11.29.08 at 8:31 am

I love that you timed the walk to the beach. 1.5 minutes is pretty unbeatable I think. Lennox Head is gorgeous, as is my MusicMan :)

MusicMan and I would love to go to Edinburgh, and while we didn’t get romantic time or any real time together in London, I can see that it would be lovely. Paris was perfect for that actually. Even though Bunny was always with us there we did get to see the sites and have dinner together and it was very romantic.

26 J.D. 11.29.08 at 11:09 am

Congratulations!

From the pics, it looks like a great experience.

I think the perfect romantic getaway is doing what you want when you want to and not trying to fit the model of a perfect romantic getaway.

J.D.’s last blog post..Leadership Challenge Checklist

27 Wendi Kelly-Life's Little Inspirations 11.30.08 at 5:08 am

Kelly,

Happy anniversary and happy thanksgiving too. I am looking forward to your marriage posts!

Wendi Kelly-Life’s Little Inspirations’s last blog post..A Day of Gratitude, A Life Grateful

28 Stacey / Create a Balance 11.30.08 at 12:12 pm

A romantic getaway sounds dreamy. My last romantic getaway was in the mountains without cellphones, without computers, with fishing gear, and hot tubs!

Stacey / Create a Balance’s last blog post..Free eBook - How to Practice the Art of Life Balance

29 Kelly 11.30.08 at 1:46 pm

@J.D
“I think the perfect romantic getaway is doing what you want when you want to” - Yes! This is especially true after you have kids because a break away from structure and routine is even more appreciated.

@Wendi Kelly
Thanks :)

@Stacey
Sounds divine. I also appreciated the time away from technology. It’s a rarity these days.