99 Experiences Of A Life Well Lived?

by Kelly on December 19, 2008 · 24 comments

in Inspiration. Happiness. Self Improvement,Life. People. News

99-things-memeI was hanging around at my mate, Gunfighter’s blog today and saw this meme, which quite tickled my fancy. Right now, I’m all about embracing life, the good and the bad, the fun and the scary, so this feels like a fitting post as we near the end of the year.

My meme is not exactly like Gunfighter’s, which is slanted toward US citizens and came from another blogger Lola Gets…. who got it from a Los Angeles blogging mate, Los Angelista. Since this meme is really doing the rounds, I decided to tweak it a bit and bring it all the way Down Under. Things I have already done and can tick off the list are in blue.

1. Start your own blog
  2. Go camping and sleep under the stars
  3. Play in a band
  4. Holiday on a tropical island
  5. Make a wish on a shooting star
  6. Give 1% of your income to charity
  7. Go to Disneyland/world
  8. Climb a mountain
  9. Hold a praying mantis, a spider or a snake (spider)
  10. Stay overnight in the desert
  11. Bungee jump
  12. Visit Paris and see the Mona Lisa at the Louvre
  13. Watch a lightning storm at sea
  14. Teach yourself an art/craft from scratch (Can I count blogging and basic programing here?)
  15. Walk to the top of the Statue of Liberty
  16. Grow your own vegetables (thanks to mom’s guidance)
  17. Eat ‘space’ cookies in Amsterdam and float down the canals in a pleasant daze (a great week in my life)
  18. Sleep on an overnight train
  19. Go backpacking
  20. Have a pillow fight
  21. Travel solo (Mexico, Guatemala)
  22. Take a sick day when you’re not ill
  23. Tell someone you love them when they haven’t said it first (MusicMan!)
  24. Help bring a life into this world – puppies, kittens, babies anything! (kittens and I saw a friend’s baby being born)
  25. Go skinny dipping
  26. Run a Marathon
  27. Try surfing
  28. Ride in a gondola in Venice
  29. See a total eclipse
  30. Get up to watch a sunrise
  31. Pursue a dream (am still slaving away at that novel and have ticked a number of countries off my travel list)
  32. See one of the great waterfalls in person – Victoria, Niagara, Iguazu
  33. Visit the birthplace of your ancestors
  34. See how a traditional indigenous community live (Mayan villages in southern Mexico and Guatemala)
  35. Learn a second language (Spanish)
  36. Decide you have enough money to be truly satisfied
  37. Go rock climbing or abseiling (loved rock climbing when I was young, but am now a scaredy cat)
  38. See Michelangelo’s David in Italy (perfection)
  39. Sing karaoke
  40. Participate in a demonstration or some form of social/political activism
  41. Buy a stranger a meal
  42. Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge (I’ve walked it, but have never climbed over the top)
  43. Walk on a beach by moonlight
  44. Make love somewhere you could get caught
  45. Be transported in an ambulance
  46. Break the law (Hmm, illegal substances, theft, jay walking, is that enough for me to be a “bad girl”?)
  47. Do something you know is reckless (This is a long list, but I will admit to the stupidity of hitch hiking)
  48. Get your portrait drawn/painted
  49. Go deep sea fishing
  50. See the Sistine Chapel in person (breath taking)
  51. Climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
  52. Go scuba diving or snorkeling
  53. Come face to face with real poverty and don’t look away
  54. Kiss in the rain
  55. Play in the mud
  56. Fall in love
  57. Have your heart broken
  58. Get married
  59. Have children
  60. Buy your own home
  61. Go to a drive-in theater
  62. Appear on television or in a movie (was on the news)
  63. Visit the Great Wall of China
  64. Start your own business
  65. Take a martial arts class (Karate – I sucked)
  66. Visit Africa
  67. Volunteer to help the needy
  68. Sell Girl Scout Cookies
  69. Go dolphin or whale watching
  70. Buy someone flowers for no reason
  71. Donate blood, platelets or plasma
  72. Go sky diving
  73. Visit a Nazi Concentration Camp (Dachau – eerie and horrible, but necessary)
  74. Fly in a helicopter
  75. Save a favorite childhood toy (still have my first teddy on my dressing table)
  76. See the Pope, the Dalai Llama or another religious head (I saw the Pope in Mexico – it was insane!)
  77. Eat Caviar
  78. Stand in Times Square
  79. See a monkey, tiger or another exotic animal in the wild (wild monkey tried to jump on MusicMan)
  80. Get fired from a job
  81. See the Changing of the Guards in London
  82. Break a bone (toe)
  83. Ride on a speeding motorcycle (dad’s a bike lover s I have been on bikes my whole life)
  84. See the Grand Canyon in the USA
  85. Get a book published
  86. Visit the Vatican
  87. See the coral of the Great Barrier Reef, Australia
  88. Buy a brand new car
  89. Walk in Jerusalem
  90. Have your picture in the newspaper
  91. Read the Bible or the Koran or another religious text in full
  92. Visit the White House
  93. Kill and prepare an animal for eating
  94. Save someone’s life (my brother’s when we were kids)
  95. Sit on a jury
  96. Confront your fears (heights – climbed a volcano, spiders – held one)
  97. Admit to someone you lied or made a big mistake
  98. See the Pyramids of Egypt
  99. Swim in the Dead Sea

Is there anything you’d like to add? Please share some of your experiences in the comments or better yet, spread the meme to your audience!

Flickr photo by Stoper

{ 1 trackback }

47 Amazing Bucket List Ideas and Resources
12.27.08 at 11:42 pm

1 SpaceAgeSage 12.20.08 at 1:27 am

#65 — betcha didn’t — suck that is. It’s all in the instructor.

What an interesting list, and my what a life you’ve lived! Way to go!

I’ve done a lot, but by this list, I have much more to see and do. Thanks for the fun reminder.

SpaceAgeSage’s last blog post..Looking for authenticity

2 Davina 12.20.08 at 2:52 am

Hi Kelly. This is quite a list. I’d love to see the Changing of the Guards in London too. I rode in an ambulance earlier this year (had food poisoning) and reacted very badly. Those ambulance attendants were two beautiful men. That alone healed me *smile*. That’s cool you were on television… now you’re ready to do a speech before a live audience… I’d add that to the list. Hope you can tick #85 off the list next year.

Davina’s last blog post..A Positively Dysfunctional Christmas

3 Vered - MomGrind 12.20.08 at 6:06 am

What a great list.

I’m impressed that you told MusicMan you loved him first! Where was it that someone said “I love you” and the other replied “thank you”? Was it a sitcom? I can’t remember. It was so funny.

4 J.D. Meier - Sources of Insight 12.20.08 at 8:08 am

I’m a fan of experiences. I like that you have a nice ordered list to choose from.

It’s a reminder how little things like savoring a strawberry can mean a lot.

@ Vered

Was it Two and 1/2 Men?

J.D. Meier – Sources of Insight’s last blog post..My Favorite Personal Development Books

5 Natural 12.20.08 at 8:59 am

well one thing on your list made me smile more than the others, but i’m not saying which one, but glad you didn’t get caught.

i certainly don’t do bugs, but i am slightly interested in holding a snake. i just don’t trust them. can’t say i will do it, but i’m intrigued to the point of trying if its mouth were glued shut.

Natural’s last blog post..You’re So Vain You Probably Think This Post Is About You

6 Marelisa 12.20.08 at 12:58 pm

Wow, you saved your brother’s life. Why do you want to be transported in an ambulance (just asking, not judging)? I’m a big fan of life lists Kelly, and yours is certainly interesting.

7 Hunter Nuttall 12.20.08 at 2:16 pm

@ Vered, when Princess Leia said “I love you,” Han Solo said “I know.” Supposedly this was a goof, but they liked it better.

When George on Seinfeld told his girlfriend he loved her, she said “You know, I’m hungry. Let’s get something to eat.” Later, he found out she was deaf in that ear, so he said “I love you” again. She said “I know, I heard you the first time.”

I don’t remember the “thank you” one, but it sounds familiar.

Hunter Nuttall’s last blog post..Twitter – Social Media’s Hidden Gem

8 Lance 12.20.08 at 10:03 pm

There’s lots of blue – that’s very cool! You HAVE done a lot of stuff in your life!! #74 (fly in a helicopter) is one I really want to do. This list reminds me that there is much I want to do yet in my life – here’s to making 2009 a year where we all get to do some of those things that we really desire to do!

Lance’s last blog post..Bounce!

9 Kelly 12.20.08 at 10:19 pm

@SpaceAgeSage
I appreciate your optimism about my karate abilities, but I’m really not sure they well founded in my case. The only place I seem to be well coordinated is on the dance floor :)

@Davina
Yes, speech in front of a live audience is a good one for the list. I could tick that one off too as I have done loads in my years of marketing and teaching. And I hope I will be ticking #85 off next year. I plan on being much more focused.

10 Kelly 12.20.08 at 10:23 pm

I think Hunter is right – those lines are from the Empire Strikes Back. It is scary telling someone you love them when you have no idea how they feel, but believe me when you throw yourself out there and make yourself vulnerable like that, it’s incredibly empowering. Makes me remember I should have:
– Ask someone out on a date
on the list too and have also done that. terrifying the first time, but then very good for my self esteem. And yes, I have been turned down – by MusicMan!

@J.D Meier
The little things make up a life, don’t they J.D? Even eating strawberries.

@Natural
I will be honest and say letting the spider run up my arm didn’t cure my irrational fear of them. It’s still there, but it was worth a shot. I had a friend who allowed herself to get bitten by a snake in a demonstration. How crazy is that!

11 Kelly 12.20.08 at 10:29 pm

The ambulance one was on the old list and I would like to ride in one, though preferably as an onlooker or as a precaution, not with my life flashing before my eyes. I saved my brother’s and my cousin’s lives when a sand barge we were on collapsed – terrifying experience and thankfully we were all okay.

@Hunter
You sure know your movie and tv lines. I love that episode of Seinfeld. I could watch re-runs of that show for hours.

A helicopter would be excellent, wouldn’t it? I still have a very long list I want to knock over lance; you wouldn’t believe how long. But it is good to see the proof that my belief you shoud throw yourself into life is actually backed up with experience. Hope 2009 is a thrilling and rewarding year for you.

12 Cath Lawson 12.21.08 at 6:48 am

Hi Kelly – I read this yesterday but I was going out, so I didn’t have time to comment. This is sort of like a bucket list right? We’re planning to start these, so we don’t waste so much of our lives.

You have some cool things on your list. And I’ve done some of the things you’ve done – like breaking the law, being reckless etc. And I’ve done the London things you want to do. But I didn’t go right to the very top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, as it was closed due to bad weather.

I will also be putting Egypt, Africa (safari) and the Grand Canyon on my list, as well as many places you didn’t mention. I want to see so many places – the Galapagos, Costa Rica, Argentina, Iceland, Rome, Australia, Canada – the list goes on forever. So I guess it’s a good idea to do these lists, so we might have a chance of getting to do some of them.

Aside from travel – I have plenty of writing, business and spiritual goals that I’d put on my list too.

13 Urban Panther 12.21.08 at 9:17 am

Welcome back so soon, babe *grin* That list was fun. Made me realize how much I’ve done:
Play in a band
Holiday on a tropical island
Make a wish on a shooting star
Go to Disneyland/world
Climb a mountain
Hold a praying mantis, a spider or a snake (spider)
Watch a lightning storm at sea
Grow your own vegetables (thanks to mom’s guidance)
Have a pillow fight
Travel solo – Germany
Take a sick day when you’re not ill
Tell someone you love them when they haven’t said it first (Urbane Lion)
Go skinny dipping
Try surfing (body surfing)
See a total eclipse
Get up to watch a sunrise
Pursue a dream (writing a book)
See one of the great waterfalls in person – Niagara
Visit the birthplace of your ancestors
Learn a second language (French)
Decide you have enough money to be truly satisfied
Sing karaoke
Walk on a beach by moonlight
Make love somewhere you could get caught
Break the law (accidental shoplifting … long story)
Do something you know is reckless (ya, um, when I was dating, um ’nuff said)
Get your portrait drawn/painted
Come face to face with real poverty and don’t look away (lived on welfare for 2 years after marriage break up)
Fall in love
Have your heart broken
Get married
Have children
Buy your own home
Go to a drive-in theater
Start your own business
Sell Girl Scout Cookies
Buy someone flowers for no reason
Save a favorite childhood toy (my teddy)
Buy a brand new car (just this Spring. My first one ever!)
Have your picture in the newspaper
Visit the White House … no but I have visited the Canadian Parliament buildings
Kill and prepare an animal for eating (fish count, eh?)
Save someone’s life (my brother’s when we were kids; well, he wasn’t in danger of dying, just very serious injury)
Confront your fears (living alone for the very first time in my life at 43)
Admit to someone you lied or made a big mistake

Urban Panther’s last blog post..A state of awareness

14 Stacey / Create a Balance 12.23.08 at 3:45 am

This is a great exercise. I have done 64 out of the 99 experiences. Thanks for the memory explosion!

Stacey / Create a Balance’s last blog post..Gifts From My Dad

15 Robin 12.23.08 at 1:48 pm

Hi Kel – I wonder what you were in the news for.

Have a great Christmas! And see you soon. x

Robin’s last blog post..Bloggers’ Recording Project Has Arrived!

16 Graham Strong 12.24.08 at 4:16 am

Great list!

Here’s some I’d add:

Hang out on the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town (my favourite spot in the whole world)
See the mountain gorillas
See the sunrise from the top of Mount Sinai
Paraglide in the Swiss Alps
Drive the north shore of Lake Superior at sunset (best sunsets in the world)
Take a moment to reflect in the Zen garden at the Dublin Writers Museum
See Stonehenge at dawn on the summer solstice (haven’t done this yet)
Raft down the Zambezi at Victoria Falls (do it from the base of the falls, not down the river like some companies do)
See the northern (or southern) lights
Eat dinner and/or sleep in a castle
Travel above the arctic circle
Dig for fossils
Travel down the Nile in a felucca
Climb Kilimanjaro (haven’t done this yet)
Stand in a place where you can see two oceans meet

I’m sure there are others. What a great world we have, when you think about it!

~Graham

Graham Strong’s last blog post..How You Can Add More Punch to Your Press Releases

17 LifeMadeGreat | Juliet 12.29.08 at 1:44 am

Hi

What an unusual list and great idea.
It brings back memories, ignites desires and makes one realise that we can take things for granted.
There are a couple of things there that I take as the norm and don’t appreciate enough I think – they are, after all, on a big “to have experienced” list.

Juliet

LifeMadeGreat | Juliet’s last blog post..Juliet Tagged

18 Chris 12.31.08 at 6:16 am

Kelly– You do have a life well lived and imagine you’re not even half way through your life time.

Chris’s last blog post..All I Want For Christmas…

19 Roz Mitchell 01.01.09 at 7:55 pm

Hi Kelly what a great list Ive just come back from holidays so thought I would comment.I want to grow old with my husband and be totally inlove with him and have him feel the same,not just going through the motions like so many people do.Go to Mexico,Peru,India Travel around my country on my own time.Be wise and there for my grandchildren .So much more isnt life incredible?

20 Roz Mitchell 01.01.09 at 7:57 pm

By the way Kelly my country is Australia amazing ,beautiful country.

21 Joe Lynch 12.23.09 at 9:46 pm

I wouldn’t kill an animal, even for eating.

22 Gunfighter 03.27.10 at 7:43 am

Hi Kel!

Apparently, people are still visiting my blog from this post… amazing!

23 Elle 08.20.10 at 12:24 pm

Excellent list! I’ve done many of the things on your list and want to do many of the same things as well. Good luck!
.-= Elle´s last blog ..246 Become a Better Photographer =-.