Mirror Mirror On The Wall, Who Is The Sexiest Of Them All?

by Kelly on February 23, 2009 · 28 comments

in Film. TV. Books. Music, Life. People. News

leonardo_dicaprioAfter attacking shallow media consumption and the spread of false values, I thought I’d show that I’m not all serious and and dedicate this post to my latest crop of sexiest Hollywood actors.

I say ‘latest’ because actors come and go and tastes change, so if I had written this 5 years ago, Russell Crowe might be on my Sexiest Celebrity list, but today he does nothing for me at all.

And that’s the thing with lust, isn’t it?

Sex appeal is a very personal thing. It hinges heavily on an individual physical reaction and sometimes it’s very hard to define why we are attracted to certain people.

Of course celluloid lust is at a distance, so what gets us hot is probably a lot more contingent on physical beauty than what may attract our attention in real life.

Face to face, who we find sexy may rely on not just good looks, but everything about that person and our reaction to them. Their intelligence, wit, charm,  strength, artistic intensity, even a great laugh. Other times an unquantifiable chemistry makes us lusty for someone who may not be our ‘type’, but still we are mesmerized.

Why am I thinking about Hollywood Hotties? Because I re-watched one of my favorite films last week, and it had me fantasizing about sex.

Or more accurately, sex with Leonardo Di Caprio.

Yes MusicMan, I’m sorry,  but the past few years I have not missed one opportunity to be alone in my mind with Leonardo Di Caprio in a darkened cinema.

Ever since I saw The Aviator a few years ago I have been a MASSIVE Leo fan. Who knew Romeo and Juliet’s pretty boy would grow up to be such a talented, edgy looking man.

If you have not seen some of Leo’s latest work, be sure to check it out. He has blossomed into an amazing actor and has the kind of searing intensity that I have always been attracted to.

johnny_depp

However, Leonardo is not my great celebrity love. That honour belongs to Johnny Depp, who I have been infatuated with since I was a teen and he was a young heart throb on 21 Jump Street.

I am not going to talk about why I love Johnny here because that is a post in itself. My adoration of him is less about screen lust and more about being being awestruck by him and everything he represents.

And it’s not just me who feels this way about Johnny Depp. Millions of women of all ages nod in agreement when you mention hero worshipping this actor. One of my readers, Jay from The Depp Effect has even included Johnny in her blog title and in this post she explains why.

Some other actors who get my Sexy tick (and who you may never even have heard of) are:

Ryan Gosling (The Notebook, Half Nelson)

ryan_gosling

Ryan Gosling has movie star looks, loads of talent and a killer smile. By all accounts he should be a lot more famous than he is. Why he’s not, is a big part of why I like him.

Ryan Gosling avoids being the heart throb, keeps a low media profile and chooses edgy, independent films like Half Nelson or Lars and The Real Girl. When he has been interviewed he comes across as self deprecating and unbelievably normal. Plus, I can’t get past those bedroom eyes.

Josh Hollaway (Lost)

josh-holloway

I could wax on about artistic integrity I guess, but really when it comes down to Josh Hollaway, I just can’t get my eyes off him when he’s on screen.

Part of it is the character he plays on Lost. Sawyer is bad, but good. Smart and sarcastic, then alternately earnest and vulnerable. Then there’s the dimples, twinkling blue-green eyes, that sexy over long shaggy hair, and a smoothly sculpted chest that is on display in many Lost episodes (thank you to the scriptwriters - you’re doing a great job there). So when it comes to Josh, I just say take a look at his photo.

Hugh Jackman (Australia, The Prestige)

hugh_jackman

What to say about Hugh Jackman. He’s Australian. He not only acts, but sings and dances. He can be macho in the X Men, refined in Kate & Leopold and camp in the stage production of The Boy from Oz.

He’s a family man who married an older woman - the smart and sassy Deborrah-Lee Furness - and is famous for his grace and generosity. Hugh Jackman may actually be the perfect man.

Colin Farrell (In Bruges, The Recruit)

colin-farrell

Where can a Sexiest Man list be without the completely inappropriate bad boy entrant. For me that is the chain smoking, cussing, tattooed, ex addict and sometime actor, Colin Farrell. Colin actually became known for his acting this year when he won a Best Supporting Actor award at the Golden Globes, but for a few years now he’s been known more for his womanizing and drug taking.

Neither of these attributes are at all attractive in a partner, but for a roll in the hay, well Colin Farrell embodies my penchant for bad boys. Luckily I outgrew this when it came to real life relationships, but when we’re talking about objects of my lusty affections, I am nowhere near as mature. Colin Farrell gets my motor running in a big way.

So, now it’s your turn. Come on, ‘fess up, which movie stars or rockers, sportsmen or benign fashion models make you all hot and bothered?

Photo of Ryan Gosling sourced from Gossipsauce.com

Photo of Colin Farrell sourced from Sofeminine.co.uk

1 Davina 02.23.09 at 3:50 pm

I don’t mind at all, gazing upon Leonardo Di Caprio or Johnny Depp — not one bit. I saw Revolutionary Road over the weekend and thought Leonardo did a terrific job. I also quite like Colin Firth… for those who aren’t familiar with him, he played Mark Darcy on Bridget Jones and also starred in Then She Found Me with Helen Hunt and Bette Midler.

Davina’s last blog post..The Morning Muse — Inspiring Hands

2 Evelyn Lim 02.23.09 at 4:26 pm

I used to like pretty boy Brad Pitt. But I must confess that I am no longer so hot over him. I like Johnny Depp too. I’m also pretty sure that if Hugh Jackman is to appear before me, I’d go weak on my knees. Colin Farrell is cute and I can forgive him for his womanizing and drug taking ways if they are a thing of the past. Like you, I don’t think I am all that mature in my imaginary world.

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..Raising Kids, Removing Fear

3 Alex Fayle | Someday Syndrome 02.23.09 at 4:28 pm

My current lusts are all Spanish actors - so much sexier (hence why I live in Spain ;) )

And of course I’m going blank on all their names, but from your list there’s just one that makes me tingle and that’s Hugh Jackman. Lovely man!

Alex Fayle | Someday Syndrome’s last blog post..Does procrastination arouse you?

4 Robin 02.23.09 at 4:43 pm

Oh dear I think my problem may be terminal - I just don’t get turned on by people I don’t personally know - never have! Other women point and leer at a guy walking down the street - I just don’t feel anything. If I did find an actor attractive, I would probably have no idea of his name. Now when it comes to Michael Hutchence…

Robin’s last blog post..Finding Our True Selves

5 Kelly 02.23.09 at 4:51 pm

@Davina
Colin Firth is hot, most definitely. I found it hard to choose between him and Hugh Grant in Bridget Jones’ Diary simply because while I love the manliness of Mark Darcy, I also quite liked naughty Daniel Cleaver. In my 20s I would have been silly obsessed with him too!

I also used to be into Brad Pitt, but mostly I don’t find him sexy anymore. He’s gorgeous, but doesn’t really grab me. Back in Thelma and Louise days though, wow look out!

@Alex
I am a fan of Latin men myself. I love Javier Bardem and Jordi Molla especially, and I did have a Venezuelan actor, Edgar Ramirez on my list, but the post was too long. I actually bought the film, Domino, on dvd just so I could gaze at Edgar as much as I liked, whenever I liked. Sad, I know.

6 Kelly 02.23.09 at 4:56 pm

That’s interesting about having to know people. I have been attracted plenty of times to people I wouldn’t normally go for because they were incredibly funny and smart or at ease with themselves. But it doesn’t stop me leering at perfect strangers. When I am on the beach I still check out the young surfers like I am still a 16 year old. In many ways, my physical ‘type’ has never changed.

And yes, agree with you on Michael Hutchence. I saw him and INXS in concert once and he was so sexy he literally made me feel faint.

7 Music Man 02.23.09 at 9:20 pm

Oh my God…..I am THE music man….and I think Colin Farrell is pretty hot as well. Phone booth is my favourite.

8 Kelly 02.23.09 at 9:25 pm

@MusicMan
Ha, ha you’re SO funny, Mr Smarty Pants. I know you’re just jealous…

Wife (Kelly)

9 Jay 02.24.09 at 12:57 am

“My adoration of him is less about screen lust and more about being being awestruck by him and everything he represents.”

Couldn’t have put it better myself! Although there is a healthy dose of screen lust in there as well, naturally. Johnny Depp is just incredible. A very genuine, honest-to-goodness all-round nice, decent man who has principles and sticks to them, and who makes time for people. Not just people who can help him or his image in some way, but plain ordinary folk.

Thanks for the hat-tip!

Funnily enough I just left a comment somewhere else about Hugh Jackman in Kate and Leopold!

Oh yeah, and let’s not forget John Cusack, when it comes to sexy actors who choose interesting and intelligent roles.

10 Dot 02.24.09 at 3:54 am

I’m a bit like Robin, in that personality affects my interest. I’ve lost interest in Johnny Depp now that he’s making children’s movies — I liked him a lot in Benny and Joon.

I “discovered” Ryan Gosling. That is, I saw him in Stay and thought he was going to be very popular and attract a lot of attention. Which he does. Hugh Jackman looks a lot like a coworker from my last job who was very attractive. Also on my list are Denzel Washington, Jeff Goldblum and the President of the US.

Dot’s last blog post..What It’s Like at the Sleep Lab

11 Jen 02.24.09 at 3:57 am

We have very similar taste. Ryan Gosling is at the top of my list with Leo coming in third. James McAvoy takes the #2 spot. I loved Colin in In Bruges. My latest obsession is Robert Pattinson from Twilight. HOT!!!

Jen’s last blog post..Oscar Party Recap

12 Vered - MomGrind 02.24.09 at 4:14 am

I was never able to feel any attraction whatsoever to celebrities! I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s because they seem two-dimensional (and I know they’re not, but since I never met any of them in person, they seem that way to me), plasticky, too-perfect, and too removed from my reality for me to take real interest in them.

13 Cath Lawson 02.24.09 at 7:32 am

Hi Kelly - I don’t so often get crushes on stars since John Travolta. But I have to agree Johnny Depp is nice.

With Leonardo Di Caprio, I’ve never been able to get over the way that he looked like Kate Winslet’s little brother in Titanic.

I must admit - because they don’t seem real - at least not in my world, the parts they play affects my opinion of them. I thought Hugh Grant was great in Notting Hill. Then he played a real tosser in Bridget Jones and my opinion of him slid.

Now, I think Jack Nicholson’s charismatic but I couldn’t s..g him.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..You May Not Be Doing As Badly As You Think….

14 Shelley 02.25.09 at 6:21 am

I know lots of people bawk when I say I’ve always loved Bruce Willis. He’s my Colin Farrell bad boy fantasy. Something a bit fierce about baldies. But… Fernando Verdasco (Spaniard, tennis player) is so much MORE. Wow. I could have pin ups of him all over the house, just like a teenager would! Is there a market for ‘pin up’ wallpaper out there???
I can’t think of anyone else. I’m, until this day, still lust stricken with my ex love. He’s the sexiest man on earth, ‘in the flesh.’ But perhaps I’d feel differently if I met Hugh Jackman…

15 Kelly 02.25.09 at 7:24 am

@Jay
I’m sure all the devoted fans of Johnny Depp would number enough to form a small country. He really is something special. And yes, I’ll agree with you that John Cusack also has it all going on with his own style of smart, quirky sexy.

@Dot
I haven’t seen ‘Stay’ yet. Will have to get it out on dvd. And I’ve always liked Denzel Washington - very manly with amazing presence. Which would mak him the perfect choice to play Obama in a movie, don’t you think?

@Jen
Welcome to SHE-POWER. James McAvoy is sexy and sweet all at the same time, so I get why you like him. And Robert Pattinson is delicious. I thought he made a great Edward. I had actually forgotten about him. He’d make my list, though he is a little young for me. :)

16 Kelly 02.25.09 at 7:29 am

I agree that celebrities can seem 2D in magazines, but films are different. And I love film. Intelligent cinema, trashy cinema - love it all. And actors are a big part of that experience. They help me disappear into another world and the characters they play become people for a time and that affects how attractive I find them. Plus, if they continuously make choices I admire in their pursuit of their craft (like Johnny) then I end up noticing them even more. Plus, I’m a Libran and we do tend to love anything beautiful. :)

I’m relieved to know you couldn’t shag Jack Nicholson. He is charismatic, but man he’s old and hardly Clint Eastwood fighting fit. I used to love John Travolta years ago, and in Staying Alive he really was breathtakingly beautiful. I never fancied Leo in his Titanic days. Like I said, it was post Aviator and then The Departed cinched the deal. He’s changed so much with the years.

@Shelley
Don’t know your tennis player, but pin-up wallpaper might just have a market! I’m trying to imagine Josh Hollaway and his naked chest plastered all over my walls - wow - though I don’t think I’d get much sleep. And Bruce is hot, no arguments there!

17 Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) 02.25.09 at 1:15 pm

i recently saw Leonardo Di Caprio’s movie, “Body of Lies” and he’s so stunning in that movie! It looks like he has never aged a bit, still boyish looking and so manly at the same time.

I only like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Johnny Depp is sexy because he is somewhat mysterious and private. Colin Farrell’s bad boy image makes him even more sexy. James McAvoy is also so easy on the eyes if only he’s taller. But the sexiest for me is Mark Walberg. I follow all his movies …

18 LisaNewton 02.25.09 at 3:13 pm

Wow, I feel really out of it, but for me, the Notebook was a good movie, so I vote for Ryan Gosling, although Johnny Depp is also high on the list……………………:)

19 Kelly 02.25.09 at 10:14 pm

@Charlotte
Hello there, how are you? Looks like you and I have similar tastes in men. My only real gripe with McAvoy is also his height. To be fair, Johhny Depp would also be too short for me in real life. I like my men over 6 foot. Mark Walberg doesn’t really do it for me, but I remember his impressive physique from his music/modeling days.

@LisaNewton
The Notebook is such a romantic movie, and the chemistry between the lead actors really made it something special.

20 BC Doan 02.26.09 at 11:33 am

I like all those actors that you’ve mentioned, but I would also like to add my three favorites: Robert Redford, Richard Gere, and Nicholas Cage!

BC Doan’s last blog post..Are Your Back-Links Keep Readers Away

21 Dot 02.28.09 at 7:11 am

Denzel as Obama — what a concept! Yes! And speaking of Spanish men, how about Rafael Nadal? Tennis isn’t show business, but Nadal is not to be missed.

Dot’s last blog post..Akashic Record Reading, Part 2

22 Kelly 03.02.09 at 10:11 am

@BC
I loved Richard Gere when I was younger. Him in “American Gigolo” and “An Officer and a Gentlemen” with Debra Winger - wow!

@Dot
Another friend mentioned Rafael Nadal. I don’t follow tennis, so I have no idea what he looks like. I’ll have to check him out.

23 Gunfighter 03.06.09 at 10:22 pm

Wait.

I didn’t make your list? Oh, it’s sexy guys in Hollywood, I get it.

I suppose I’ll make your list when it is time to list the sexiest Americans-in-Federal-Law-Enforcement-who-are-firearms-specialists- AND-bloggers.

I feel better now.

Gunfighter’s last blog post..Fatherhood Friday: The Doctor is In!

24 Kelly 03.10.09 at 7:49 am

@Gunfighter
You will definitely make that list! In fact, since I do not know any other people who play with guns for a living, you make my “International Sexiest Firearm Specialists” list as well.

Kelly :)

25 ale 01.30.10 at 3:37 am

Leonardo DiCaprio! :X

26 alterity 02.24.10 at 6:16 pm

You girls can have your dreams but a call to Tiger Woods might lead to some results.
alterity´s last blog ..Ngurah Rai International: one of the world’s ugliest airports? My ComLuv Profile

27 Emily 10.15.10 at 10:24 am

Totally agree on Hugh Jackman and Leo DiCaprio

But for me it has to be either Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor or James McAvoy

definatly

28 Amanda 09.25.11 at 10:33 am

I have never been a fan of Leo DiCaprio, however Johnny Depp and Ryan Gosling have to be the hottest guys to ever exist, Ryans Body in crazy,stupid, love, is just omg peeeerrrfffeecccct!