A Moment of Bliss

by Kelly on March 10, 2009 · 21 comments

in Inspiration. Happiness. Self Improvement

moment-of-blissI know I have fallen behind on my posting schedule again. I’m endeavoring to post once a week, but sometimes life gets in the way.

Today, however, something happened that I simply had to write about. I had one of those rare moments in life when you are actually struck with wonder at how happy you are.

A moment of pure, uncomplicated, soul in flight bliss.

In the past, I have mostly had these experiences while traveling. One that was particularly memorable occurred while I was bumping along on a ramshackle bus in Nicaragua with MusicMan.

We were on route from Leon to Managua, and the bus was overcrowded, as all Central American buses are. The windows were down, the breeze licked through my hair and dried the grimy sweat on my face. And my seat companion was an ancient looking local man, who spent much of the trip staring at me and smiling.

He had no teeth, black eyes and deep creases etched into his face. With him he carried an overflowing shopping bag that smacked me in the ribs every time the bus hit one of many potholes in the road.

In other circumstances, I might have felt annoyed, but that day with my peaceful companion, I could only take in the row of volcanoes outside my window, the fields that stretched out before me, the radiant pink glow of the setting sun, and I was so happy. So ridiculously happy and thrilled to be alive.

Today, I had another one of those moments of bliss while out for my afternoon walk.

I set off in a positive frame of mind because I made some real progress on a writing job today and had also managed to mark a few domestic chores off my To-Do list. I stretched and hit a good stride, choosing a route that weaves around my mountain suburb, along a bike track, over a creek and back home.

It’s a peaceful route with just the right amount of hills and flat surfaces. It’s a good challenge for a run, but today I felt like the meditative state of a walk. I had reached the bike track and was in full swing when a few sets of walkers, cyclists and runners passed me by from the opposite direction.

The area I live in is quite relaxed and friendly, but today was something else. Every person who passed me, including two teenage boys, said hello or commented on what a great afternoon it was. And they were right.

It was not long before dusk. Mild and still, the sky blue, but with that golden tone that signals the end of the day. I smiled, and with each exchange came a little extra spring in my step. Then I rounded the curve and came out from the cloak of the trees and it hit me.

The mountain stretching to its peak in front of me. A few puffy white clouds and a fading glow of the sun. A beautiful site. A flame of energy lit inside of me. I looked around at the houses, the slow swing of the trees, the gentle bubble of the creek. I heard the distant twitter of the birds, the absence of cars. The overwhelming quiet and I felt it.

Undiluted happiness.

Happiness that comes from nothing. That needs nothing. A gift from within or above. The best kind of surprise. An overwhelming sense of gratitude for my life and all that I have.

It’s not perfect, my life. Recently I have struggled to get a grip on where I am going, my changing rekationships or how to handle some issues in my world, but in that moment I felt as if everything was as it should be.

There was nothing to change. Nowhere to go. There was no lack, no worry, fear or anger. Just crazy, grinning bliss.

What an amazing end to a great day. Hope yours was as good.

Have you experienced these moments of pure bliss? Do they happen often? Would you care to share one with us?

Flickr Photo by Wild Pianist

{ 2 trackbacks }

Eight Irrefutable Ingredients for Effective Copy: The Jimmy Buffet Way — Mark Hayward
03.11.09 at 10:58 am
My Personal Creed | Heal Pain Naturally
03.14.09 at 7:32 am

1 Music Man 03.10.09 at 8:46 pm

Yes I had this alot when i was 22 years old, did not have to work.Lived in my own house and just played piano between cups of coffee and doors music.

2 Evelyn Lim 03.10.09 at 11:35 pm

I’m glad to know that you had an amazing day!!

With moments similar to yours, I felt so happy that I could burst. Nothing could rail me. Even though I understood that I still had my ongoing challenges, life was good as it-was. I am getting more and more of such spaces of bliss as compared to say two years ago.

If we can make peace with what is going around, we give up that sense of struggle and resistance. We drop our attachments to thoughts that are nothing more than distortions to reality. Life is perfect in all its “imperfections” in that sense. As we tune into peace, we are better able to allow love to flow freely.

Evelyn Lim’s last blog post..Making Sense Of Life Events

3 Jenny Mannion 03.10.09 at 11:58 pm

Yea Kelly! I am so happy to hear you had a moment like this. I have had a few lately myself. It is truly being present and knowing “everything is okay, I am blessed”. I feel this way every time I go to my local park for a walk (most of the times with a girlfriend or my husband). I felt that way a few weeks back when my 5 1/2 year old daughter brushed my hair and was so gentle it made me tear up with gratitude and a feeling of beauty.

I also felt this way after reading your post. :-) We are so fortunate to have this outlet and community and I am very grateful to have been introduced to you and your wonderful writing. I hope these moments become more and more frequent for you Kelly — you are blessed with beauty, intelligence, many gifts including your writing, your beautiful family and so much more.

I’m with Evelyn — I have MANY more of these moments than 2 years ago and think the most important thing is to drop the need to control and think we KNOW how life is supposed to go. It is all perfect and I am still trying to get myself to notice and respect that more often than not.

Lots of love,
Jenny

Jenny Mannion’s last blog post..Interview with Vincent Daczynski

4 Stacey / Create a Balance 03.11.09 at 1:16 am

I love your writing Kelly - it wraps me up and sends me on a journey as if I have actually visited your mountains. My moments of bliss usually happen when I’m putting my children to sleep. It is somewhere between readings books and saying goodnight. I find it when I am cuddling with my children and watching the expression of joy on their faces. Oh how I will miss having little ones when they grow up.

Stacey / Create a Balance’s last blog post..Letting Go of What I Have Planned

5 Vered - MomGrind 03.11.09 at 5:33 am

How wonderful, Kel! I experienced a similar feeling on the weekend while skiing with my kids. They were skiing right in front of me, skillfully, freely, happily. I looked at them and my heart was filled with so much pride, happiness and gratitude that I had to stop and rest for a moment.

PS. Music Man is so funny. :)
Vered - MomGrind’s last blog post..International Women’s Day: We Still Have A Long Way To Go

6 Barbara Swafford 03.11.09 at 7:34 am

Hi Kelly - I love the journey you took us on with this post. Your writing abilities shine through in your colorful descriptions. I could sense your joy and was smiling as I read your words.

I often have moments like that. Sometimes I’m sitting at my desk, looking outside. The birds may be perched on the feeder filling their little bellies, or the snowflakes may be falling, and I stare at the scene and feel so blessed. Life isn’t perfect, but it’s good. I’m happy to be alive and grateful for all that has come my way. It’s the little things, isn’t it?

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..When Non-Blogger Friends Don’t Get It

7 Marelisa 03.11.09 at 7:35 am

Hi Kelly: I’m glad you had a blissful experience just being you, with nothing out of the ordinary needing to happen. I think that’s the best kind of happy moments :-)
Marelisa’s last blog post..Happiness Tips From the Dalai Lama

8 Roz Mitchell 03.11.09 at 9:41 am

Hi kel ,reading your post sent me right back to when I was waiting for a operation a changing chapter in my life .Not, knowing what was going to be the outcome I eventually went to sleep, on waking in my hospital bed the thought of what was to come I felt really scared .Then I turned my head and there was this most glorious fusion of colour golden light it enveloped me and I totally felt protected and safe and new all was going to be ok.The smile that split my face was extraordinary. I know because I felt it and I WAS OVERCOME WITH PURE BLISS.
Yes it was a sunrise of a new day my day.

9 Lance 03.11.09 at 10:35 am

How awesome! Moments like this are really what make life beautiful. Moments that remind you that life can just “be”, and “be” good….

I recall a camping trip last summer - and crawling into my sleeping bag - under the nighttime sky - and listening to the night creatures. And thinking - all is good in the world…

Here’s to many more of these “moments”…

Lance’s last blog post..Sunday Thought For The Day

10 Kelly 03.11.09 at 3:36 pm

@Musicman
I have heard a lot about that time in your life, and I does sound like you had a pretty good deal then. But then you found me and bliss came every day, right?

“Life is perfect in all its imperfections” - I think that’s it exactly. And it’s very closely linked to finding peace in the present moment. Though for me, I have the highest emotional states when I am also struck by a world of possibility before me. I think that’s why traveling has traditionally brought it out a lot more.

@Jenny
You’re so sweet. Thank you for the kind words. I wish I felt this way about myself more often. I get too stuck on punishing myself with impossible standards and as you say, needing to control everything and how it will turn out. Like you and Evelyn, I hope I only have more of these moments in the coming years. And that story about your daughter brushing your hair sounds like heaven. Makes me remember how much I used to like my mum to brush my long hair when I was a girl.

11 Kelly 03.11.09 at 3:39 pm

@Stacey
I’m glad my words spoke to you and delivered a picture to immerse yourself in. That’s what all writer try to achieve, I guess. And I agree, the time cuddling and book reading with my son before bed is also very special to me. At almost 5, Bunny is starting to seem so grown up now, and sometimes it really does hurt my heart to see him change and become more and more independent every day.

I can really imagine what you’ve described. Sometimes our children really do “stop us in our tracks”, don’t they?

12 Kelly 03.11.09 at 3:45 pm

@Barbara
I think joy is most easily accessed through the little things. Watching the birds, our kids, appreciating a clear sky or a shimmering moon. Anything that stops us and puts us smack in that moment will do the trick.

Thanks, and it is the best. :)

@Roz
Those are beautiful words and a powerful story of how life can give us exactly what we need at the perfect moment we need it. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

13 Kelly 03.11.09 at 3:46 pm

We are taking Bunny camping for the first time in a few weeks. Hopefully we’ll have a clear and starry night sky and the same feelings of peace and happiness. And no creepy crawlies!

14 Robin 03.13.09 at 2:19 pm

This is making me cry with happiness - I can feel your bliss from here. That was so beautifully expressed. I have moments like that, too - for me it’s most likely when I am out in nature, walking. Vered was funny having to stop and rest because she felt so happy and proud.

Robin’s last blog post..Making The Most Of Life

15 Laurie | Express Yourself to Success 03.14.09 at 3:34 am

I just discovered your site and I’m glad I did! Thank you for that beautiful e-walk you took me on. I’m happier for it. :) I’ll be back!

Laurie | Express Yourself to Success’s last blog post..Good Reads

16 Cath Lawson 03.14.09 at 9:57 am

Hi Kelly - Every time I read your newest post - something interrupts me and I have to come back hours later.

Is that beach and mountain in the pic near your house? It looks awesome.

I loved the way you told this story. I could actually picture the dude on the bus with the shopping bag.

Last time I felt that happy was yesterday. We finally have sun again here - everything in life felt good and I didn’t feel like I really had to do anything - just be. That hasn’t happened in a long time and it felt good.

17 Lisa (mommymystic) 03.15.09 at 6:31 am

What a beautiful post…I’m glad I clicked through from Jenny’s Personal Creed post. Like many of the other commenters, nature is also often my trigger for bliss…what I love about reading these kinds of things is that the energy of that moment comes through…I guess that’s what real writing is…

Lisa (mommymystic)’s last blog post..Interview with Cyndi Dale - Chakra Expert and Author of The Subtle Body

18 Kelly 03.15.09 at 10:57 am

Thank you. I’m glad I managed to touch your own sense of what makes you happy and blissed out. I love that image Vered set up too about the girls - I could really see it and feel the pride.

@Laurie
Welcome to SHE-POWER! Thanks for stopping by to comment and I hope to see you back here soon. :)

19 Kelly 03.15.09 at 11:01 am

It’s not one of my photos because I didn’t have time to go digging for one of my shots when I posted this. Been flat-chat with editing and writing work. The sun always does lift the spirits, doesn’t it? I’m glad you have much to fee happy about these days. x

@Lisa - MommyMystic
Welcome to SHE-POWER! I must get over to read Jenny’s post. She’s such a supportive sweetheart and I’m glad you enjoyed this post after following her link.

Being able to get out into the awesome beauty of nature is truly one of life’s blessings and one that resonates with all of us. Reading my words just helps you trigger your own sensations and memories. Story telling is a beautiful thing. Hope to see you back here, Lisa. :)