It’s a Weekend Link Fest!

by Kelly on April 4, 2009 · 17 comments

in Life. People. News

I have a confession to make. I have been a crap commenter this year.

I try to speak up when I get the chance and I still have a full Google Reader that I work through every couple of weeks. However, between work, trying to post here once a week, my other creative pursuits and family commitments, my commenting juices have run dry.

To  make up for dropping so far out of the commenting ranks of the blogasphere, I have taken up sharing posts I enjoy on Twitter (follow me here).

Twitter has become my new workmate since I started spending more time at the computer, writing and editing. It keeps me from getting lonely and gives this solo freelancer a much needed sense of community. If you want to promote a particular post, I’m always happy to help out with a stumble or a tweet, so feel free to call on me.

Today, I’m sharing a video of my latest celebrity obsession, the quirky, super smart funny-man, Russell Brand. Russell is a British comedian who was recently in Australia. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see his live show, but I am utterly infatuated with him, and this video of Russell on our popular night-time talk show, ROVE, is not only a perfect showcase for Russell Brand, but it really shows you the Australian sense of humor.

The video is just the beginning. I also have a long list of links to memorable posts I have enjoyed recently.

The following articles and videos have intrigued me, made me reconsider my beliefs and new ideas, had me railed up and shouting, and made me laugh out loud. Hope you find something here to enjoy.

Rusell Brand – The Wrong Passage: Revolution

Russell writes about the G20 demonstrations and the British media’s reaction to his peaceful participation. I told you I was obsessed!

Delightful Work: Daily Decision Strategy
Delightful Work: Killing-what-scares-you

And double feature from Tom Volkar – who constantly amazes me with the wisdom he brings. Truthfully, I could link to every one of Tom’s posts because they are must reads, but hey I need to leave some room for…

MomGrind: Suffering for Beauty
MomGrind: Stay  At Home Moms Protect Yourself Financially

Another double feature because Vered is on such a roll at the moment, writing compelling and relevant articles for women.

Awake at the Wheel: Trapped by your Ego

Jonathan Fields talks about how hard it is to transcend ego as we make more authentic life choices – a topic I have much experience with because my ego has taken a battering in two different phases in my life. First, when I made the decision to leave my corporate marketing career and become an ESL teacher after years of indecision. Second, when I left my teaching career to become a full-time mom.

With two moves I went from high status to low status to NO status. I’d love to say I was at peace with that, but nothing could be further from the truth. It was painful and humbling. Though ultimately the right choice as both decisions led to my current career/family life balance. I don’t have the mix right just yet, but am definitely on the right path.

Some other great articles are:

Awake at the Wheel: Outlie This: Breaking Research Reveals Talent Gene?

Cath Lawson: Why the Sauce Might Make More Money than the Pie

Cath has perfected the art of writing about business in the most inventive and humorous fashion. Business will never be seen as boring again.

Express Yourself to Success: Criticism and Feedback Arent the Same

Laurie wrote this article with business relationships in mind, but I think it has relevance for parenting too. Check it out. Tell me what you think.

Abundance-Blog. Marelisa-Online: Creative Insights from The World Wide Web

Make sure you watch the Elizabeth Gilbert video Marelisa talks about. It’s outstanding.

Jungle of Life: Money Does Grow On Trees

Jonathan Crossfield: The Top 50 Australian Blogs on Writing

Jenny Mannion – Heal Pain Naturally: We Are All Healers – The New Basics of Healing

Blogging Without A Blog: When a Picture Speaks 1000 Words

Barbara takes an opportunity to move away from talking about writing to post spectacular photos from some very talented bloggers.

Problogger: Building an Empire around our Blog

I’m working on what my empire will be. Right now, it’s the size of an ants nest, but one day, ROME.

Attraction Mind Map: Cultivate Positive Money Beliefs by Busting 10 Myths

I’ll need money to go with that empire of mine.

Illuminated Mind: The Lie of the Four Hour Work Week

Zen Habits: The Cure for What Ails You – How to BEAT the Misery of Discontentment

Productive Flourishing: The E-Factor – The 10 Traits Of Successful Creative Entrepreneurs

Her Bad Mother: Abortion Means Never Having To Say You’re Sorry

New British Advertisement for Domestic Violence – Featuring Actress, Keira Knightley

Tim Brownson – A Daring Adventure: Life-coaching – What does Rich and Happy Mean to You?

Mommy Mystic: What is Spiritual Parenting

Lisa really made me stop and think with this article on what role I hope to pay in my child’s life and spiritual development.

Write To Done: How to Make Your Site Go Viral on Twitter

Good Life Zen: How Being in a Rush Kills Beauty

Sources Of Insight: Life Frame

Mamamia: I Don’t Believe in Total Freedom of Speech

David Airey: Sex, Lies and Photoshop

From the video:

“I would say 99.9% (of images) are retouched… Maybe five years ago it wasn’t so much… but now it has to be. You can’t have blemishes and …lines under eyes and wisdom lines and all that stuff. They diminish them, they get rid of them”

“When you’re talking about the Hollywood types, they have  a personal re-toucher who does this all day long… Not one picture is released without their permission.”

Informative, disturbing and a perfect illustration of why you can’t believe media images anymore.

Vagabondish: Ways to Save Money Now So you can Travel Later

Think Simple Now: The Cry of My Soul

Urban Panthers Lair: A Funny Thing Happened at the Graveside

Mark Hayward: 8 Irrefutable Ingredients for Effective Copy – The Jimmy Buffet Way

Lets Live Forever: What if? A Movie Review

Someday Syndrome: The Theory of Suckiness

Marc and Angel Hack Life: 28 Ways to Slay the Delay

Because procrastination and writers goes hand in hand…

Okay, have I delivered enough to keep you busy reading all weekend? If  your answer is no, then take note of the following..

Get up from the computer now and go outside – you need a life!

Have a good weekend everyone.

1 BC Doan 04.04.09 at 11:59 am

You’re right, your great list will keep me busy reading for the next five days! The only post I have read is from Write to Done!

BC Doan’s last blog post..To Tweet or Not to Tweet

2 Vered - MomGrind 04.04.09 at 12:53 pm

Wow. What a fabulous list. I’m familiar with many of these, but will have to find the time to read some that I haven’t read yet. Thank you so much for including me! I’ve actually received a few emails from female readers complaining about my blog focusing too much on women’s issues lately. Go figure.

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..Suffering For Beauty

3 Kelly 04.04.09 at 3:54 pm

@B.C
Well, this should definitely keep you stuck online then :)

No thank you necessary for including you on this list. Both those articles are excellent and I think you’ve really found your niche. You make “womens issues” (I think most are societal issues myself) easily assessable for feminists and non-feminists alike. And as for the complaining women who don’t want to think about their place in the world and why things are the way they are, then they can always go elsewhere. You want readers who are interested in discussing the issues you’re interested in, don’t you? And it’s not like there’s no light relief to balance it out. Hello, teen fashion!

4 Lance 04.04.09 at 7:07 pm

Whoa, that’s a lot of links!! Thanks for including me. As soon as the sun comes up – I AM outside! Until then, a little catching up…

Have a fantastic weekend!

Lance’s last blog post..Money Does Grow On Trees

5 Lisa (mommymystic) 04.05.09 at 5:39 am

This will definitely keep my busy, thanks for an interesting and varied list, and thanks for including me (as it happened, I just linked to your St. Therese post yesterday also.) I will especially have to check out the ego post, as I went through an almost identical transition myself, from corporate life to meditation teacher to SAHM, and now half and half as I balance mothering with part-time teaching and writing. My internal reaction each time to letting go – even though the changes were what I wanted – really showed me how attached my ego was to identifying myself a certain way at each step…
Lisa

Lisa (mommymystic)’s last blog post..Blog Shares

6 Kelly 04.05.09 at 8:40 am

You’re welcome Lance. Enjoy your weekend and kudos for being up before the sun. That only happens in my house in winter, and through no effort of my own!

@Lisa
I saw that this morning- thanks for the link. I am sure there are disproportionally more of us career changers and lifestyle seekers online, so articles like Jonathan’s are very reassuring because it always helps to know that we’re not the only one’s suffering with the process of redefining ourselves. The ego is a powerful thing and any down-shifter or SAHM knows that very well.

7 Jenny Mannion 04.06.09 at 10:05 am

Hi Kel,

Thanks so much for the link and that is SOME LIST! There are a bunch I read and a bunch to check out – thank you!

We’re headed to Disney this week for a week so might be out of touch for a little while….ahh the joys of packing up a family of 4! 😉 All the best and I hope we catch up soon-after I get back. I don’t know who’s more excited Ray and I or the kids! 😉

Lotsa Love, Thanks again Kel, :-)
Jenny

Jenny Mannion’s last blog post..The Living Matrix Movie — The New Science of Health and Healing is Here

8 Kelly 04.06.09 at 12:09 pm

@Jenny
A holiday – excellent! Have fun. I can’t wait to go… I mean TAKE Bunny to Disney land. Tell me all about it when you get back. x

9 Sami 04.06.09 at 2:13 pm

OK, I’ve just spent quite a lot of time looking at many of these links so I’m now off to find myself a life! Thanks for the list. Some great reading.

Sami’s last blog post..Funny Monday

10 Robin 04.06.09 at 2:36 pm

Hi Kel – you’re not the only one who hasn’t been commenting as much as you would like – I saw this a couple of days ago but have only got back here again now!

Thanks for the link! You certainly have been reading a lot of blogs!
c u love from Rob

Robin’s last blog post..Calling All Gods And Goddesses!

11 Kelly 04.06.09 at 11:01 pm

@Sami
You’re welcome.

At least lack of commenting means life is getting in the way and that’s always a good thing.

12 Urban Panther 04.07.09 at 11:00 am

Thanks, Kelly!

Hey, my middle child is currently in Oz, by the way. She was in New Zealand for 3 weeks on a work placement, and is now in Melbourne for a week. I can’t wait for her to come home and tell me stories, and show me pictures so I can live vicariously through her. Sigh. *smile*

Urban Panther’s last blog post..Five hundred year vision

13 Marelisa 04.08.09 at 7:04 am

Hi Kelly: Thank you for the link and for the introduction to Russell Brand. I have a squidoo lens where I collect funny stuff from the internet and I’m always looking for new material to add to it, so I’ll be back to watch the video and hopefully I’ll “get” Australian humor :-)

Marelisa’s last blog post..Make Your Workspace More Creative

14 Kelly 04.08.09 at 11:08 am

@UP
That sounds like a great adventure for your daughter and living vicariously through our kids is one of the best things about having them :)

Yes, tell me if you do get the humor. On Youtube you can find quite a lot of stuff from ROVE and it’s a popular show, so it is a good example of what us Aussies appreciate. And Russell, how can I express my love for Russell…. *swoon*

15 Cath Lawson 04.09.09 at 10:04 pm

Hi Kelly – I find it hard to keep up with a lot of commenting too. Thanks for the link – all that must have taken you an age. The Russell Brand video was hilarious too. I like that he uses Twitter to take the piss out of our corrupt MP’s.

16 Rowe 04.12.09 at 10:48 pm

Thanks Kelly, this list was a nice little treat for the easter break. I checked out a few items on it as well as your ‘thoughtful’ blog that you wrote after easter last year, along with all the comments. It is interesting reading what others believe or don’t believe when it comes to religion and faith.

Rowe’s last blog post..Get Real Happy

17 Natural 04.28.09 at 12:01 pm

good looking links in there. i’m trying to be a little more proficient at photoshop. i don’t believe there is one real photo of a celebrity anywhere. everything is retouched.