Surrounding Myself With Comfort, Creativity and Brilliance

by Kelly on September 2, 2009 · 25 comments

in Creativity. Writing. Blogging, Film. TV. Books. Music, Inspiration. Happiness. Self Improvement, Women. Beauty. Feminism

relaxing-girlI’ve been giving a good deal of thought to creating the perfect writing space lately.

As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I have a new writing studio, which means now I have to decorate it and create an environment that is  quiet, uncluttered, creative, and nurturing.

I’ve already installed a nice comfy bed for reading and relaxing. Some of my treasures have been put in place - paintings of Bunny’s, travel photos, my hand made Mayan doll and a beautiful sculpture of a mother and child that my mum gave me. And of course, my trusty desk chair, which reclines to the perfect angle for staring out the window while plotting/day dreaming.

The new glass top desk should arrive next week and my collection of writing reference books and notes from my writing studies have finally found a home. I have also been hunting through old photos from my life and the important people who share it so they can be plastered around my desk to remind me to stay in a state of gratitude.

Gratitude because this studio is much more than a writing studio. It is a sanctuary. A place of my own, where I can escape the family, meditate, reflect, read and write to my heart’s content. I might even find some time for paid work if I get really bored :)

This process of building a home for Kelly the Writer has also had me thinking about INSPIRATION. About how to get more of it into my life. How to keep it there when it comes calling. How to remind myself to look for it when times get rough.

Inspiration has led me to quotes. More specifically inspirational quotes that will help push me when I need to soldier on through writer’s block or creative despair. Quotes that may help when I inevitably become confused about what my goals are and the validity of my novelist dreams.

In trawling through the archives of quotes available on the internet (how did I ever survive without Google? I don’t wonder anything anymore. I just google it!), I kept coming across one name again and again. Oscar Wilde.

Such a brilliant quip. I am sure a wittier man has never been born. And to make me extra envious of such a  literary and intellectual  talent, some of Oscar Wilde’s quotes are more than clever, they’re positively insightful.

oscar-wilde

Let Me Share Some Famous Oscar Wilde Witticisms

A month before his death, Oscar Wilde is reputed to have said, “My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One of us has got to go.”

Although Oscar Wilde was homosexual, he once proposed to a society heiress, Charlotte Montefiore. She refused, and he wrote back with, “I am so sorry about your decision. With your money and my brain we could have gone so far.”

Once when asked by a customs officer if he had anything to declare, Wilde replied, “Nothing except my genius.”

Some of my Favorite Oscar Wilde Quotes

“A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

“A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”

“I can resist everything except temptation.

“It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

“Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one’s mistakes.

“Our ambition should be to rule ourselves, the true kingdom for each one of us; and true progress is to know more, and be more, and to do more.

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.”

“Whenever a man does a thoroughly stupid thing, it is always from the noblest motives.”

And my Absolute Favourite …

“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.

——————————————————–

I feel inspired just typing this. How I love a writer with a sharp mind and the perfect turn of phrase.

What do you think of Oscar Wilde’s writings? Which quote do you like the best?

Flickr Photo1 by p!o

Flickr Photo2 by anaxila

1 Chris 09.02.09 at 10:36 pm

What great quotes from Wilde!! Your retreat sounds wonderful. We all need a place to go to be at peace, filled with things we love.

2 Chris 09.02.09 at 10:49 pm

I forgot to identify my favorite quote. I would agree with your choice. I think that we would all be better off if we let people be who they are, not who we want them to be…

3 Evelyn Lim 09.02.09 at 11:28 pm

I laughed when I read the part about Oscar Wilde’s comment after being rejected by Charlotte Montefiore. His comment to the customs officer was also really funny! Don’t you find that wise men often have a funny bone themselves?
Evelyn Lim´s last blog ..Angelic Reiki Healing with Angels, Archangels and Ascended Masters My ComLuv Profile

4 Vered - Blogger for Hire 09.03.09 at 3:38 am

I agree about your favorite quote - I can think about someone in my life who does that. It really places a burden on others.
Vered - Blogger for Hire´s last blog ..Links for August My ComLuv Profile

5 Betsy Wuebker 09.03.09 at 4:33 am

Hi Kelly - I love Oscar Wilde. The “either this wallpaper goes or I do” is one of my favorite anecdotes about the man. As realtors, we would declare that whenever we toured a hideous house. :)

My favorites are some you didn’t post, so I hope you’ll permit a couple more:

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” from Lady Windermere’s Fan, Act 1

“A poet can survive everything but a misprint.” from The Children of the Poets

and a couple from The Importance of Being Earnest:

“Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die.” and

“I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.”
Betsy Wuebker´s last blog ..LOVELY LEELANAU My ComLuv Profile

6 KRISHNA PAUL 09.03.09 at 6:07 am

WILDE WAS A WILEY OLE FOX AND ONE OF MY FAVOURITE CREATIVE PERSONS AND WITHIN HIS MOMENTS OF OBSERVATION ARE SOME OF MY FAVOURITE QUOTES.
A STUDIO
MY STUDIO
OH HOW I MISS THEE MY LOVE
A PLACE OF SUBLIME AWAYNESS FROM IT ALL
SLOUCHING WITH A COFFEE N’
JUST READING THE MOMENTS
MY LOVE AT MOFFAT BEACH
WHERE SHE LAY PROVOCATIVELLY EVERY DAY
ENTICING ME INTO
HER LUSCIOUS SPACE AND PROMISCUOUS WAYS
TO CREATE AND DREAM AND FLY FREE
UNABATED AND UNDISTURBED
AWAY FROM THE UNWASHED HERDS.
KRISHNA PAUL´s last blog ..Streaming through Life …….. My ComLuv Profile

7 Sami - Life, Laughs & Lemmings 09.03.09 at 6:24 am

The last quote (the selfishness one) totally made me laugh out loud. It’s amazing to me that one person could have so many profound (and funny) quotes to his name.

I’ll be creating my own writing space very soon (cannot freakin wait!). Thanks for the inspiration!
Sami - Life, Laughs & Lemmings´s last blog ..A Happy Camper My ComLuv Profile

8 KRISHNA PAUL 09.03.09 at 6:27 am

HMMMM NOW LET ME SEE
DO I WANT CHEESELS
OR IS IT TO BE JELLO ON SOURDOUGH
OR MAYBE AN APPLE
“MUM WOULD BE HAPPY ‘BOUT THAT”
HMMMM NOW CRACKERS AND CHEESE
OOOHHH SO TASTY ,BUT OH DEAR
SOOO MANY CHOICES
OOH WELL IT’S JUST NICE TO BE LYING HERE
ON MY BACK IN THE SUN
AND DAYDREAMIN’ AND THINKING
‘BOUT THAT NICE BOY AT KINDY
“” RILEY “”
HMMM NOW THERE’S SOME THING
YUMMY!.
KRISHNA PAUL´s last blog ..Streaming through Life …….. My ComLuv Profile

9 Roz Mitchell 09.03.09 at 2:36 pm

I like the first one (the cynic is a man) yes some profound statements from this man , one that I use alot is HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS. dont know who said this .
ROZ

10 Robin 09.03.09 at 6:34 pm

Hi Kelly - you have rather a sharp mind and perfect turn of phrase yourself, methinks. I love the sound of your writers sudio! I have my own workroom, but I haven’t really thought of celebrating it - perhaps I should. I do tidy up all the junk on the spare bed now and then (does that count?)
Robin´s last blog ..Janni Lloyd, An Aussie Immortalist My ComLuv Profile

11 KRISHNA PAUL 09.04.09 at 1:33 am

CONGRATE’S TO YOU ALL WITH YOUR COMMENTARIES AND YES IT IS SOOO VERY IMPORTANT FOR A CREATIVE PERSON TO HAVE THEIR INTIMATE SPACE AND TO CELEBRATE IT WITH LOVE …..
FOR I HAD A BEAUTIFUL LUXURIOUS SPACE FOR A LONG TIME AND CREATED SOME AMAZING MOMENTS FOR MYSELF,BUT AT THIS MOMENT IN MY LIFE OWING TO CHANGING CIRCUMSTANCES I HAVE A TINY VERY LIMITED SPACE WITH WHICH TO NOW WORK.
SO CELEBRATE YOUR LOVE SPACE AND ENJOY YOU ALL !!!
KRISHNA PAUL´s last blog ..Streaming through Life …….. My ComLuv Profile

12 Rozzen 09.04.09 at 3:33 pm

Kelly it is so good to see you back on line cant wait to what comes next !
Rozzen
Rozzen´s last blog ..Amazement Of Skies My ComLuv Profile

13 Kelly 09.07.09 at 9:37 am

Sorry I have been tardy with my replies, people. I am so used to not blogging, I keep forgetting to check my site!

@Chris
Letting people be who they are instead of who I want them to be is a lesson I have taken awhile to learn, hence why it’s my favorite. Glad it resonated with you too.

I laughed too with that one - just the thought of someone saying that. So arrogant and deliciously funny.

Yes, it does and it also makes it impossible for us to be happy as well. the more we enforce on others, the less energy we have to be ourselves.

14 Kelly 09.07.09 at 9:42 am

@Betsy
Thanks for sharing some of your favorite Wilde quotes. I almost put the one in about the diary as I do love that, but I thought my post was already getting a bit long.

@Krishna Paul
You rhyming poetic kook, you. Thanks for coming by to leave me a poem. I love this,
“WHERE SHE LAY PROVOCATIVELLY EVERY DAY
ENTICING ME INTO
HER LUSCIOUS SPACE AND PROMISCUOUS WAYS
TO CREATE AND DREAM AND FLY FREE
UNABATED AND UNDISTURBED
AWAY FROM THE UNWASHED HERDS.”
And it’s true, where you are now hardly compares to Moffat beach, but the ‘mean’ companion does appreciate your presence. xx

15 Kelly 09.07.09 at 9:47 am

@Sami
It is amazing how brilliant one human being can be, isn’t it? he really makes me feel quite inferior. Enjoy creating your own writing space when your sister leaves. The process is one to be enjoyed.

@RozZen
Nice to be back. Thanks :)

You should definitely celebrate having your own space and making it feel special to you. Part and parcel of having gratitude I think, to focus on what we have and see the joy of it. Maybe next time you tidy the bed, have a look around and think how you might like to create the space further.

16 Walter 09.08.09 at 6:17 pm

Quotes from great individuals like Oscar Wilde brings inspiration especially during bumpy times. It gives your the courage to go on. :-) Walter´s last blog ..How to catch a reader’s attention My ComLuv Profile

17 Mark 09.12.09 at 12:14 am

Welcome back! :-) Mark´s last blog ..Greatness Looks Good on You My ComLuv Profile

18 Cath Lawson 09.14.09 at 1:39 pm

Hi Kelly - I was hoping you were getting along well with your writing. Your new room sounds fab.

Oscar Wilde was brilliant. I like the quote you liked best.

19 Woman 09.21.09 at 10:08 pm

what great quotes from Oscar Wilde! and funny ones, too.

i envy you for having a writing studio! it must be a very cozy place to write your stuff.
Woman´s last blog ..When I Grow Old My ComLuv Profile

20 Ribbon 09.25.09 at 10:42 am

My favourite Wilde quote is…
‘We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars’

best wishes
Ribbon :)

21 Gunfighter 09.29.09 at 8:46 pm

I’ve never been a real fan of Mr. Wilde but I like this one best:

Gunfighter´s last blog ..Calling All Web Designers My ComLuv Profile

22 Rozzen 10.09.09 at 7:44 am

writing studio all in place comfy chair and all bed with luscious pillows so where oh where is our kelly ,this creative spirit ………..
ROZ
Rozzen´s last blog ..Beauty Is All Around You My ComLuv Profile

23 Ella 10.12.09 at 7:42 pm

these quotes are fantastic :) Ella´s last blog ..How To Forget My ComLuv Profile

24 Greg @ remote control vibrating panties 10.27.09 at 8:13 am

You’ve mentioned most of his best quotes but a really common and popular one is very apt for our celebrity obsessed culture - “There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. ” In fact many people felt that he was the first “celebrity” in the way we understand it. He invented the cult of celebrity in fact they would claim. And here’s another one which has a smidgeon of profundity “The soul is born old but grows young. That is the comedy of life. And the body is born young and grows old. That is life’s tragedy. ”
Greg @ remote control vibrating panties´s last blog ..Buy Vibrating Panties – Good Vibrations For You Or Your Partner My ComLuv Profile

25 cheap jordan 11 space jam 05.18.14 at 4:21 am

Hello, I wish for to subscribe for this blog Creativity. Writing. Blogging to get newest updates, so where can i do it please assist.
cheap jordan 11 space jam http://www.wildcatgolfandfitness.com/Coupons/spacejam11.asp